It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2008, 11:46 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sg1112 HB User
how long do you bleed?

how long after the baby is born do you usually bleed heavily for? so you bleed more from having a csection then a vaginal birth or is it all pretty much the same?

Old 08-11-2008, 11:55 AM   #2
(female)

andreanchris HB User
Re: how long do you bleed?

I had a section and I really didn't bleed. I had an orange discharge for about 5 days. I am guessing it was orange from the benadine or something.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2008, 01:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User

I can't remember exactly but I felt like I bled forever!!! I had a vaginal birth. It was really heavy at first, then sort of slacked off to be more like a normal period, then it went really light until it was over. I can't be for sure but I want to say about two weeks after giving birth, I finally stopped bleeding. Again, I could be wrong. It's just hard to remember after everything else that you have going on, the bleeding kind of takes a back seat to everything else!!! I bet if you ask your OB they'd be able to give you a good idea or average on the time that you can expect. That is if you have a vaginal birth. I don't know about a c-section.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:17 PM   #4
(female)

sousou HB User

I usually bleed heavily for 7 to 10 days , after that light bleeding that will turn into brown discharge...the whole thing between 25 to 30 days.
with my first baby the heavy bleeding lasted for 30 days and the whole thing lasted for 60 days, I had no idea that it wasn't normal and did not say anything to my doctor.....do you know what I was doing wrong ???? I was so naive and ignorant that because of stitches and hemoroids I had, I was filling the bathtub with hot water and sitting in it for 15 min ( 3 to 4 times a day ), it made my stitches and my hemorroids feel good but it caused the long heavy bleeding...be careful ladies !!!

Old 08-11-2008, 05:13 PM   #5
(female)

msknueve HB User

i only bled for 1 1/2 weeks...guess i was lucky

Old 08-12-2008, 06:27 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

meechieny HB User

Personally I'm still at 3 1/2 weeks with my vaginal delivery, but everyone is different. There is a difference if you are breastfeeding too. You tend to not bleed as long and it will take longer to get your period. People make the mistake and think they are not ovulating when they are postpartum and breastfeeding and oops, they are pregnant again 6- 8 weeks after delivery!!!!Be careful

Old 08-12-2008, 09:35 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

skyy11 HB User

You go through different types of bleeding. The first few days is heavy, red but watery and not as thick as a regular period. You may get a few clots too.

Then it turns pink and then peach colored. This took me a couple of weeks. Then the last couple of weeks, just brownish spotting like. I am now 5 weeks postpartum with no bleeding now for a week or so. I think I still have some clear discharge, though. I am also breastfeeding.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:09 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

I was bleeding for a couple of weeks. The first few days it is extremely intense. I had large clots, one the size of a golf ball and they gave me these pads to wear that are the size of a placemat that cover you from your lower back to nearly my naval. After a few days I was able to switch to regular heavy pads and after the first week then bleeding slowed quite a bit. I had a natural vaginal birth.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:10 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User

I've heard that you bleed less with a c section, but I think it depends on the person, as well as how the c section goes, etc.. I had a vaginal delivery, and breastfed and I bled quite heavily for about 5 weeks. Then all in a few days it really tapered off, and eventually the discharge turned yellow and was gone. About a week later I bled a tiny bit (but still had to wear a liner) for about 2 days, and that was it. I got my period when ds was 4 months old which I was not expecting, since I was exclusively bf him.
My sister had a c section, and also exclusively bf, and she also bled for about 6 weeks, although I'm not sure how heavy the flow. She didn't get a period until her little guy was 8 mo! So it's different for everyone.

Whiskers

Old 08-14-2008, 09:57 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

I got my period about a month after delivery, like clockwork!

Old 08-14-2008, 09:27 PM   #11
(female)

nerdo HB User

With c-sections, they kinda suction you out so you don't have as much bleeding as with a vaginal delivery. I'm 4 weeks postpartum and have a almost no discharge now.

Closed Thread