It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2008, 01:22 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sweetest_Pink00 HB User
Question about labor

When you are induced are you in labor longer than if you were to go on your own? Have anyone that was induced find it more painful then going iinto labor on your own? Ive heard that being induced with pitocin starts you off at a more speedy pace and you may skip the contractions that you wont normally feel and go straight to a little more intense contractions. Can any one clarify if this is true or not?

Old 08-15-2008, 03:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User
Re: Question about labor

I was not induced but my best friend's water broke and she was not having contractions. They gave her Pitocin to make her contractions start. I have heard on several occassions that Pitocin does make contractions more intense. However, I can't say from experience. Are you being induced?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2008, 05:37 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

skyy11 HB User

I never had to be induced, but almost and my Dr.(who is completely wonderful and I trust 110%) said that they start out very slowly w/ small amounts of pitocin and gradually increase. I was going in @6:00 AM and she said by late afternoon the baby should be here. So, I would not worry yourself too much. Labor pains are labor pains either way.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:27 AM   #4
(female)

sousou HB User

I had my first 2 delivered naturally and I was able to deal with that..with my third my water broke and they gave me some pectocin ( sp?) because my labor was too slow..it gave me the worst pain I really couldn't handle it ...the nurse said the diff has to do with my age...with my first two I was in my early twenties , with my third I was 37,,she said that after 35 our body does not tolerate pain as when we are younger....now I m preg with my 4th at 40 y and honestly I will try not to get any medication unless there is an emergency....but keep in mind that labor is diff from one person to another, I get so jaleous of those painnless birth stories ....hopefully you'l be one of them
my best advice to you is to enjoy whats left of your preg....once your precious one is in your hands you'll forget completely about what happened during labor.
Best of luck to all preg mommies !!!!

Old 08-15-2008, 07:48 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tami52100 HB User

I was induce with Ds but I have never just went into labor so I have nothing to compare it to. But with DS I went in at like 6am but 7am I was hooked up and the poticin was going slow. My contractions started out mild I spent most of the morning watching the machine to see when I had a contractions (I was facinated SP?) They came in ever so often checked everything and turned it up some they did start getting bad but I have no clue of what time it was because I wanted it dark in the room the lights was driving me crazy and giving me a headache. The straps they put around me said my contractions was regular but wasn't very strong so they kept turning it up they broke my water to speed things up but the monitor on DS's head to and that is when my contractions started getting major they was like ever 1min apart and lasting almost a min. but I was only dilated to a 3.5 with all that and I know at that time it was close to midnight because they said 3.5 will have to do that I could get an epidural that they usually wait til someone is atleast 4cm. But at 12:45 they took me to the OR for a c-section and I had DS at 1:05am.

The next day the dr. came in and said it was all my body because the meds worked just like they was suppose to that according to my contractions I should of been pushing around 10pm but was only 2.5cm dialated.

As far as the pain they was bad but so are labor pains. My brothers GF had a baby in April she was induced started at 7am I got there like at 4pm and she was sleeping with no epidural she said that the contractions wasn't bad at all.

Everyone has a different experience with labor so it's hard to go by what other people experience. Yours my be a breeze. I had heard so many horror stories when I went in I was terrified so I was really stressed my blood preasure was high all because I thought that everyone's labor was the same really painfull, scream, yell ,worse pain of your life,think your going to die,and now that I know it was non of that I was all stressed and tense for nothing and insted of enjoying the things going on I was a nervous wreck and putting me and DS at risk with my blood preasure being so high because once I realized that "hey this aint so bad" my blood preasure dropped back down to normal and I had a wonderful experience. So try and relax and don't stress about it.
our angel 2/16/05
10/16/08..... AVA GRACE
Maybe TTC #3 if it's ment to be ok if not ok not stressing this time. :-)

Last edited by tami52100; 08-15-2008 at 07:50 AM.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:37 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sweetest_Pink00 HB User

Thanks to everyone! You all gave me great information.

Delia- I think i may be getting induced because of my GD maybe around 39 weeks. Until then i have my normal prenatal visits every thursday and i have a NST and AFI and OB Sonogram all in one day for Friday (22nd). They said depending on how that goes. I may need to do a stress test either once or twice a week. Im not too nervous yet but as the time get closer i think i will be. My blood pressure slightly elevated to i think the heebie geebies are starting to get to me.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:09 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

skyy11 HB User

Best of luck w/ everything! I think you will do fine. Do not get too nervous. Everything has a way of just coming together.Think positive!

Closed Thread