It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2008, 10:18 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mistina HB User
Heart palpitations or jumping....

I am 36 weeks...will be 37 on Friday and my heart is jumping or palpitating like crazy. It feels like it's skipping beats and if really annoying and a little scary. Does anyone know if this is cause for concern? I know that my body is pumping so much more blood and all but I'm not sure if I should make a big deal out of it or not.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2008, 01:29 PM   #2
(female)

Ccarrie76 HB User
Re: Heart palpitations or jumping....

Well I wouldnt worry a lot about it because this can make them worse. Im almost 32 years old and I have been getting the skip beats sense i was 18. Im pregnant with my 3rd child and I have noticed them being worse when Im pregnant. I think For some women they have a lot to do with hormones..Because before I was pregnant I would get them every month when it was time for my period but then I would be fine the rest of the month. Pregnancy plays a big role in your hormones. I HATE having them. They drive me crazy and SCARE me to Death..To the point of not wanting to even go anywhere when Im having them. I have been having them like crazy today. Millions of people have this problem, So dont by any means feel like your the only one. My doctor told me many people have them all day long but they dont notice them but then theres people like me that pick up on every single one. I would mention it to your doctor of course to be safe but most of the time they are nothing to worry about. Let me know if you wanna talk.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2008, 02:52 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User

Yeah, they are definitely worse when you are pregnant. I have sinus tachycardia which basically means my heart beats too fast all of the time. I had to be put on medication for it about three years ago. The medication regulates your heart rate. Even with being on the medication, at the beginning of my pregnancy this time, I had so many palpitations that I called and got in to see my doctor. They ended up doing a 24 hour monitor just to be sure, and everything was fine. Hormones is what they chalked it up to. Of course it never hurts to ask your doctor if you are really worried, but I think it's pretty normal, although annoying and a little scary.

Old 08-23-2008, 06:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

I had this happen at 34 weeks with my first pregnancy. I was freaked out. I have a home blood pressure monitor and my hb was irregular and over 193 at one point. Of course, by the time I got to the ER it was normal. They checked me out for a while then sent me home. I followed up with a cardiologist and did an eeg (or whichever initials it is) and all was well. They just said it was idiopathic (can't find a cause) arrythmia and palpatations and not to worry about it.

It hasn't happened again in this pregnancy (yet!?), but if it does I've been told to just hold my breath and bear down (like I was pushing the baby out) and it will help the heart calm down and get back to a normal rhythm. My grandma's cardiologist has given her the same instructions because she has this happen on a regular basis.

Good luck to you.

Old 08-23-2008, 06:23 PM   #5
(female)

madera74 HB User

I have the same thing.. I have had heart palpitations/PVCs before, but they have been worse during my pregnancy. Not constantly, but some weeks I have them almost all the time and then they will taper off and then come back again. I asked my Dr. about it because for awhile they were really bad - and she said that it was normal due to all of the extra blood my heart is pumping, but that if I was really worried or they wouldn't settle down at all then they would have me see a cardiologist who would have me wear a Holter monitor for 24 hours - but she said likely they wouldn't be able to give me any kind of medication or anything anyway. So I've just been trying to be extra conscious of regulating my breathing and using relaxation techniques when I get them really bad, but honestly it doesn't help a whole lot. I feel for you - they are scary and I hate them too.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:14 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sg1112 HB User

i get this especially if i get up and lay right back down to fast. when it first happened i thought i was having a heart attack cuz my chest felt heavy and i thought my heart was gonna jump right out. ive had myself checked out and everything is ok so im assuming its just a pregnancy thing. i have never had anything like it before i got pregnant and im hoping it will stop after the baby is born. it started at the very beginning and now at 36 wks its still happens but not as much as before.

Closed Thread