It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2008, 01:06 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sweetest_Pink00 HB User
What happens if you push before the right time?

I have been watching alot of delivery stories on tv and online and one thing that i have not come across in all my readings and research online is what happens if you try to push before you are 10 cm dilated? I guess im asking whats the difference between 9 and 10 cm and why does it stop at 10cm if anyone knows? I dont have my dr. appt until thursday but i will ask them also.

Another question: Do you have to deliver your baby on your back why cant it be on your side or even standing? Do you guys think that maybe another way would be more effective?

Last edited by Sweetest_Pink00; 08-19-2008 at 01:12 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2008, 01:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User
Re: What happens if you push before the right time?

I started to push before it was "time" because I had a natural childbirth and my family and midwife kept telling me the progress and I just needed to get to that next stage which was pushing and I knew I was on the homestretch. I pushed for two hours, nothing happened as a result, I had my baby eventually, I never had any tears or cutting because my midwife stretched me between each push.

If you think about it, if you stand up the baby will drop out and it is slippery, so that really wouldn't work well, the doctor or midwidfe would have a difficult time since they are down there. You lay on your back because it is easier to push that way, it isn't so natural to lay on your side an push. You could have a water birth which was an option for me. I was in a hospital with a midwife and I used the whirlpool tub several times, the water eases the pain of the contractions. I was open to giving birth in the whirlpool tub, but I just ended up on the bed where I was comfortable.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2008, 01:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sweetest_Pink00 HB User

This clarifies alot for me and i now understand the pushing methods. You are right. Lets see if i can get some more information..lol..On tv i saw a doctor get on top of a bed and push down on a womans stomach while she was pushing they said it was to help her and it did but is that safe for baby?

Old 08-19-2008, 01:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

TryN2BMommy HB User

This is my first baby, so I can't speak from experience...but my pregnancy book says that if you start pushing before it's time, it could cause swelling in the perineal area which might make delivery a little more difficult. It seems to make sense to me, but again, I can't speak from experience. I would also think if you are pushing before it's time that you would waste a lot of energy, so that might be why they want you to wait as well. Childbirth ain't easy, might as well have as much energy left as possible!

Holly

Old 08-19-2008, 01:56 PM   #5
(female)

Christine73 HB User

Alexa, I must respectfully disagree. It is more natural to give birth in a squatting position due to the fact that gravity helps and the birth canal is tilted in the best position for birthing.

Lying on your back is totally unnatural and the only reason hospitals sometimes insist that you do it that way is because it is easier for them, not for you. It is not only generally more painful but it can also slow down the birth.

Sweetest, if you are going for a natural birth, listen to your body..it 'tells' you what to do. Normally women like to move around and bend forward during contractions, and then turn to squatting with someone supporting them under their arms from behind.

Good luck!

Old 08-19-2008, 02:49 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User

Yes, I agree with the above poster. I have seen several shows where women have given birth in the squatting position. While not pretty, it seems to be better for mom. What birth position is pretty though? The baby will not just FALL out that way. If it were that easy, we wouldn't have to push so much. And I have read on several occassions that it is a very effective way to give birth. I was on my back during delivery, but that is just because that is what I was told to do. Squatting is also helpful during labor like when using a birthing ball. My best friend used one during her labor and she said it really helped! I think if I were you, I'd just talk to your OB and find out all of your options, and then choose which you think is best for you. Or you can even try more than one. You might be surprised what works best in your situation. Good luck!

Old 08-20-2008, 08:28 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sweetest_Pink00 HB User

I felt weird, the last appt i had i asked my doctor has she ever dropped a baby. The reason for this is because on TV and internet videos i see the doctors catch this slippery baby coming out with these slippery rubber gloves on and then sometimes they hold the baby up in the air so u can see especially if your having a c-section and i just wanted to know how do they grip these slippery kids. I have never heard of a doctor dropping a baby but its just curious to me. I guess now im worried about every little thing is this normal?

Old 08-20-2008, 02:35 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User

Hi Sweetest,
I also wanted to add that in regards to pushing before it's time, I was told by my ob it's because if there is any piece of cervix left when you start pushing, it will swell, and that will make it MUCH slower to dilate fully, to 10cm. I haven't heard too many stories where women really feel the need to push before they're at 10 anyways, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.
Also for delivery, there are a ton of position options, however your ob will have something to say about that! My little guy was face up instead of down, and so in trying to get him to flip, I tried MANY pushing positons, and I actually found that pushing on all fours (with bum way up in the air) was quite comfortable. Also laying on your side, with your top leg up, and pulling it towards the body seemed to be easier as well for me, than flat on my back. But again, it depends a lot on how your ob wants to deliver your baby, plus if you have an epidural, etc. There are a lot of factors! But don't be shy to ask or tell your ob how you feel the most comfortable!
As for worrying about every little thing, it's totally normal. With my ds I was the same way, especially towards the very end. But just try to have faith that everything will work itself out, even if it's not how you imagined it. Really try to enjoy every moment of labor (as hard as it might be), because you are doing one of the most beautiful things that a woman can do! And once your little one is FINALLY in your arms, you'll not be bothered by whatever it took to get him here.

Whiskers

Old 08-20-2008, 05:27 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Viktorria HB User

Pink, I think every hospital and OB have their own spin on when and how to push.

With my first, I went all natural and stopped dilating at 9... I spent 5 hours at 9 CM and was absolutely dying to push. I kept telling my OB I needed to push and he finally let me, saying I could try to push through it... 2 pushes later my DS was born.

Also, with both of my previous deliveries I was in bed, but not on my back. I was sitting up, with my husband and mom holding my knees back. Not the most comfortable position, but I think gravity probably helps!

Even though this sounds strange when you've never experienced it, your body will know exactly what to do in the moment. Good luck!

Old 08-20-2008, 06:14 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

Christine,
I stand corrected, you are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT! Thanks, I wasn't thinking. Most people use drugs and therefore are laying in bed during labor and delivery, I never thought about squatting, however, doctors are not fond of this, they prefer that you lay down and they can sit on a stool and see what is going on. Thanks, you are correct.

Last edited by AlexaIn2006; 08-20-2008 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Spelling

Closed Thread