It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2008, 04:56 PM   #1
(female)

sarah100 HB User
Would this annoy you too? (TMI)

Hi everyone,

Slightly embarrassing I know, but I'm wondering if I'm the only one who this has happened to or would find this really annoying?

Basically, the brief summary is that I got back from hospital on Saturday morning, but prior to being allowed home I had really, really bad trouble with the dreaded first visit to the bathroom... I had a c-section but still had severe constipation, and didn't go for four days post-birth.

Anyway, the really annoying bit is that, when I was on the toilet, one of the nurses kept knocking on the door every five minutes and asking "if everything was okay" and then eventually "is everything okay, why don't you try again a bit later" - which kept completely stopping me from being able to go and made the constipation seem even worse...

I'm amazed that I managed to stay really polite about it! Am I the only one that these things happen to?

Sarah.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2008, 05:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User
Re: Would this annoy you too? (TMI)

Sorry to hear about your annoying nurse. That would've driven me crazy, it's not like you're three years old and you need help!!! I suffered horribly from constipation throughout my first pregnancy. I didn't have a c-section but had a 2nd degree episiotomy. I was SOOOOO afraid to go to the bathroom. It hadn't been a good experience up until birth, so I could only imagine what it was going to be like afterwards. Luckily they never asked me about whether I had gone during my hospital stay and honestly I didn't even attempt it until I got home. I guess maybe they feel like it's their job to make sure you are ok, but honestly, give a person some peace and quiet!!!

Last edited by Delia79; 08-20-2008 at 05:39 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2008, 07:48 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

if the nurse stayed outside your bathroom door, consider yourself lucky!!! with my first two kids, the nurses followed me into the bathroom and would stand there and watch me pee.... one nurse got mad when i didn't call her to help me to the bathroom! they wanted to help me get my underwear changed, put the ice packs in place, use the water bottle..... they were a little too helpful!!! after the birth of my second baby, and three or four trips to the bathroom accompanied by the nurse, i finally convinced the nurse that it was my second time around and that i really was steady on my feet and to PLEASE wait outside the bathroom!!! and yeah, they kept trying to force me to go, but i was so incredibly constipated and they kept trying to force it, and rush it, and that really made it harder to go! it was awful!

with my third baby, i was so lucky that my nurse was an 82 year old woman who looked more like she could use the help walking to the bathroom.... she let my husband walk me to the bathroom and she said she would just come back later..... whew! none of my nurses even mentioned my bowels, except to bring me the standard stool softener once a day.... so i didn't go until i got home and it was so much easier!!!

so yes, it's incredibly intrusive, annoying, bothersome, etc.....

Old 08-20-2008, 02:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

The reason she was checking on you so often is because it is extremely bad for you to sit on a toilet and strain. You can then get hemmorhoids, which are awful if you've never had them. A better plan is to get more stool softener and maalox and wait until just before you have to go before heading to the bathroom.

Sorry she was being such a pain!

Old 08-21-2008, 07:46 AM   #5
(female)

abergsma54 HB User

Oh no - is this what I'm going to look forward to after my labor. It just would not sit well with me

Old 08-21-2008, 03:48 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

skyy11 HB User

My nurses were great! Maybe she just thought you needed the help? My nurse just helped me the first time out of the bed after the birth, which you would welcome the help then anyway. She helped me w/ the pad and ice pack thing. But she did something really nice, she ran the water at the sink to help me go pee and give me some privacy.. she stayed outside too! This worked great.
I did not pass my bowels while at the hospital, but they recommended a stool softener, and it was 3 or 4 days before I went, at home. This is normal to not go for a few days.

But maybe w/ the c-section she needed to be more careful? I would have spoke up and said you needed time and quietness to go...

Sorry to hear of the trouble. Maybe she went a little overboard.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:11 PM   #7
(female)

lamby248 HB User

This happened with me too. I had an episiotomy with my son and was soo sore down there, couldn't walk or move fast at all. The one nurse kept pounding on the door and peeking her head in to see what was up with me.

Closed Thread