It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2008, 04:52 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

koukla3 HB User
Wink anyone else having twins?!!?!?!?!?!

Hi everyone,

I am currently 9 weeks pregnant and had my first appointment yesterday and found out that I am pregnant with twins!!!! I am still shocked but extremely excited. The funny thing is that I had fertility treatments with my first daughter and had one baby and we got pregnant on our own this time and we are pregnant with twins!

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else is having twins and if so what dose of folic acid does your OB have you on? Mine has me on 4mg a day!!!!! My husband has spina bifida on his side of the family but it just seems very high to me. I have been trying to look up information on dose of folic acid with twin pregnancies but haven't had any luck!

So my new due date is probably Feb 26th???? I think that is when I will be 36weeks.

Thanks and congrats to all the new mommies to be!
Koukla

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2008, 07:50 PM   #2
(female)

LisaW88 HB User
Re: anyone else having twins?!!?!?!?!?!

CONGRATS!!!

I am also expecting twins!! I am currently 31 weeks pregnant with twin girls! They are both in seperate sacks and have seperate placentas! We won't know if they're identical or fraternal until they do a blood test once they're born! I wasn't given a certain amount of folic acid to take with twins, so I am not sure how to answer your question. I can say that you have a LONG road ahead of you and I wish you the best of luck! You thought you were uncomfortable with just one baby...just wait...lol its double the trouble and SO SO SO uncomfortable the further you get. But the little miracles are so WORTH it! Congrats and Good Luck!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2008, 02:45 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hazel 74 HB User

Hi Koukla,

CONGRATS on the twins ... its indeed amazing that your natural pregnancy is a twin pregnancy!!

I am expecting a singleton but wanted to respond to your query re. folic acid. I am on 5mg a day - despite a singleton and no history of spina-bifida. Where we're located, the pills only come in a 5mg format, so thats what I've been taking even while ttc'ing. Apparently, there is no such thing as too much folic acid so pls don't worry about taking too much!

Wish you all the best!!!

Old 08-21-2008, 03:53 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

koukla3 HB User

Hi Lisa and Hazel,

Thank you both for your responses and congratulations on your babies!!!! Hazel, I am glad to hear that you are on a high dose too...I was just a little nervous that it would make me sick. I know if you don't need it you will pee it out but I don't want to get sick.

Lisa, I was so big carrying one baby I can't even imagine carrying 2! I have already popped out and I am 9 weeks. I have gained 1/2 a pound so far but I know there will be lots more to come. Were you/are you starving all of the time. I am SOOOOO hungry. You are almost there...are they taking your baby girls at 36 weeks?

thanks again,
koukla

Old 08-21-2008, 05:57 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

TryN2BMommy HB User

Hi Koukla!!

I'm not expecting twins (one little boy due 11/22 ), but I remember you from the IF boards & just had to drop in to congratulate you on your pregnancy!! How amazing that you didn't need treatment this time & ended up preggo w/ twins! I'm so happy for you!! Regarding the folic acid, I have also heard that you can't take too much. I'm sure you will be fine even w/ the high dose.

I look forward to following your progress!!

Holly

Old 08-21-2008, 07:03 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Eva77 HB User

Hi Koukla and wow a big congrats to you.I am having twins after an iui I had back in May.I am on 800 mcg of folic acid dont worry to much cant hard you like Holly said you will pee out an excess.Dont forget you are carrying 2 so you need a little more.As for the weight gain you havent gained much at all.It is important to gain weight with twins.I bought a wonderful book and I think it helps a lot.Its called "When you're expecting twins, triplets, or quads" Arthour-Dr.Barbara Luke and Tamara Eberlein.A few others here that are expecting multiples have read it as well.I found it very informative.Oh I also heard that if you have taken IF meds in the past its easier to conceive twins later on apparently the meds are still in your system and can still help you release more then one egg a month.BTW are the fraternal?Mine are cause they are in seperate placentas.I am also due in Feb, Feb 3rd to be exact.I see you mentioned you will have the twins at 36 weeks did your OB tell you that?There have been many cases where women have twins at 38 or even 39 weeks.A friend of mine just had twin boys at 38 weeks and each weighed 8 pounds so imagine if they had gone 40 weeks.My Ob told me the same thing what he will take my pregnancy as far as he can with help from me that is.Ok I was just curious.Well sorry for the long post.Take care and again congrats and come join us on the Feb thread.

Eva

Old 08-21-2008, 08:19 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

km7503 HB User

OMG!!! Koukla!! I can't believe it! That's incredible news!! I just found out I'm pregnant from the last IVF I did. I haven't had a u/s yet, but I think it's just one based on my beta number. Anyway, I just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Old 08-21-2008, 10:28 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari15 HB User

Oh Koukla, wow a HUGE CONGRATS to you!!!!! I remember you as well from the IF boards... So great to have another friendly face on this side I think it is so exciting that your little girl is soon to have twin younger siblings! What a fabulous miracle that was simply meant to be! I am now 17 weeks with triplets (IVF), and I see a perinatologist exclusively.... She told me that as long as my prenatal contains folic acid I am fine... she never mentioned a specific amount. But I do know its also important to eat foods that contain folic acid so I make an extra effort to do that as well every day. There is a good discussion on this topic in that book that Eva mentioned above. I also highly recommend that book just for the wealth of info that it contains. Well again, congrats on the pending new additions to your family. I'm so happy for you!!!

Old 08-21-2008, 12:18 PM   #9
(female)

LisaW88 HB User

LoL...I am deffinatly NOT hungry...I mean I go in spurts but as of now...there is no room for food pretty much so I force myself to eat for the girls...otherwise at the beginning, I ate a lot but now ...it makes me sick to think about food. They told me that they wouldn't let me go past 38 weeks just simply because twins run out of room. At my last appointment (30 weeks) I was measuring 42 weeks pregnant! I am now 31 and will be 32 this sunday. My doctor said that they won't stop my labor if I go into labor after 32 weeks because they should be developed enough. My perintologist also said that twins develope faster than single babies so their lungs should be pretty much developed by 32 and for sure by 34 weeks. I have been having REALLY bad contractions for hours the last week and a half so they put me on limited activity. I see my doctor this Tuesday to decide what or IF we need to take further action. I think she is just letting me have my freedom till Tuesday, when then she will put me either on full bedrest or in the hospital. I don't know what I'll do with bedrest...I have a two year old! LoL....but anyway, I am so excited for you and I hope I helped answer at least ONE quesiton. HAHA

Last edited by LisaW88; 08-21-2008 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Forgot to answer a question

Old 08-21-2008, 12:31 PM   #10
Veteran

Mod08 HB UserMod08 HB UserMod08 HB User

This thread is being closed. Please do not post congregational threads except the "month due". You may start a new thread for any other questions/problems related to your pregnancy.

Thank you.
Mod 08

Last edited by Mod08; 08-21-2008 at 12:32 PM.

Closed Thread