It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2008, 04:20 PM   #1
(female)

crossingXline HB User
Dental help during pregnancy

I didn't get into my new dentist before I was pregnant and now I'm having a lot of pain with my molars needing to be cut out. Because I'm a new patient most dentists won't start seeing me without an x-ray and because of pregnancy those aren't allowed. Has anyone heard of special cases/emergencies and got into a new dentist while pregnant?! I'm going to keep calling around but just wondering.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User
Re: Dental help during pregnancy

Are you talking about your wisdom teeth? How far along are you? Is this something that you can handle until you give birth? There are x-rays that will need to be taken so they can see the progress of your teeth and then during extraction they will use drugs or even IV sedation and it is dangerous because of the drugs in your body, plus most dentists prescribe vicodin and antibiotics as well. There are things you can do right now such as keeping an ice pack in the freezer and using it to numb any pain while at home, something a moist warn washcloth can help. If you can get the essential oil of clove, it has numbing effects and you can dab some on a q-tip and rub the area where the pain in.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2008, 06:48 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

fruitloop1024 HB User

I recently had a root canal last month. The dentist had to do Xrays, and my OB cleared it, but told me that he needed to cover my belly with one vest, and make sure another one was covering my neck. The Xray can cause issues with the thyroid. Other than that, there is only so much that you can get to help with pain. However, when they give it to you, there are almost no limits to how much they can give you. I had to get 5 tubes of lidacain (sp?), and he shot me about 20 times because I was not numbing. I do not know if they will actually do surgery to remove teeth during pg, only because of needing certain medications, such as pain meds to help you recover after. I hope it all works out for you.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:57 PM   #4
(female)

heathergirl HB User

I have worked with Dentist's before and there is no harm in xrays after the first trimester! If you are past that point it is ok double shield yourself (tell the Dentist and his assistant.) There is absolutely no problem at all. A lot of xrays out there now are a very low dose of radiation you get more radiation walking to your car out in the sun then you do from one xray! I cracked my foot when I was prego and I was a week out of my first trimester and we had to take xrays and the whole thing! Good luck! Take care of those teeth studies have shown that if you dont you can have a premature baby!

Closed Thread