It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2008, 07:27 PM   #1
(female)

LisaW88 HB User
Question about twins and labor...

Does anyone know if the majority of twins are healthy enough to go home if they are born at 32 weeks or 33 weeks?

Old 08-21-2008, 09:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari15 HB User
Re: Question about twins and labor...

Hey Lisa, Hope you and your little ones are well. Not sure if you remember me posting before, but I am expecting triplets so I'm fairly well read on prematurity. Based on all that I've read, babies born at 32 or 33 weeks (mulitples or singletons) are likely to be very healthy in the long run with no lasting effects from the prematurity. But I'm not aware of any babies born that early that got to go home without a stay in the NICU. I think the earliest I've read of that can go home right away is about 34 weeks... and even then I think it's fairly rare there isn't some sort of stay in the hospital. And I imagine if the mom to be doesn't get the shot for lung development the stay could be a number of weeks. I've basically prepared myself that my little ones will be in the NICU for a while unless I make it to at LEAST 34 weeks. And I will be THRILLED if I make it to 32+. The important thing of course is that if they need to be in the NICU, then they will be getting the care they need. How are you doing? Do you think you are going to be delivering early?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2008, 07:36 AM   #3
(female)

LisaW88 HB User

Hi kari! I deffinatly remember you! I am so excited for you, but can't imagine how uncomfortable you are or are going to be...My heartburn is so bad that every prescription i've tried isn't working so I throw up. I asked about the girls being born early because since I turned 30 weeks (which I will be 32 this Sunday) I've been having REALLY bad contractions. They start late in the day around 4 or 5 and last till like 2:30. I talked to my doctor and they said that they were putting me on restricted activity. We'll that hasn't helped either. I see my doctor on Tuesday and my perintologist on the 8th. My hubby thinks they are going to put me in the hospital starting Tuesday b/c we both know that i've dialated a lot and its not normal for these contractions. I mean they are in the front of my stomach, my lower back, and down in my pelvis. It feels like i'm going to rip in half sometimes. Plus, at my 29th week appointment I measured 42 weeks! They've gotta be running out of room here soon...And while I was at that doctor appointment my doctor told me that first we're going to make it to 32 weeks and if that then we're going to shoot for 34 weeks and if that then 36. So ...I am really not sure whats going to happen...All I know is that the pain gets so unbearable that I hope I can just make it until Tuesday for my NST & Pelvic exam.

So enough said on my part --> sorry that was so long...How are you!?!?!? How are you feeling? I forgot how far along you are. Oh, I am so excited for you!!! Is everything going okay so far, and healthy? I can't wait to hear back from you!!! Take care!!!

Old 08-22-2008, 01:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari15 HB User

Oh my Lisa, with contractions that intense I don't know how you are keeping from checking yourself into L&D triage! Wow, sounds like those little ones really are thinking about making an early appearance! My neighbor (who also is a good friend) went into the hospital at 30weeks with contraction. She was put on meds and they held off delivery for five more weeks. Her twins stayed in the NICU for a week. Not bad. But seriously take care of yourself... 32 weeks is very good, but if you can make it a couple more I know your babies will fare even better! I'm doing well... Uncomfortable but well.. I just posted an update on my appt from yesterday on the Dec thread. Have a good day!

Old 08-22-2008, 03:51 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

jackstersmom HB User

Hey Lisa, My twins were born on July 2nd and they were 34 6/7 weeks. My son had to stay in the NICU for 9 days, and my daughter would have gotten to come home sooner than that, but she had a heart defect and had to have open heart surgery (that's another story). They were 5 lbs 9 oz and 5 lbs 13 oz, so really good sizes. My OB told me that 35 weeks is about the soonest that babies can go right home, but not all of them. I went on restricted activity at 20 weeks, bedrest at 26 weeks, and hospitalized bedrest at 29 weeks because of preterm labor (I was 3cm and having regular contractions that I couldn't feel), but made it to just about 35 weeks and I was very surprised and proud to make it that far. I was very uncomfortable in the end and ready for them to come out! Just thought I'd let you know my story Good luck!!

Cristy

Old 08-23-2008, 03:16 AM   #6
(female)

LisaW88 HB User

Jackstersmom- You just set my mind at ease so much! I know that I need to make it a couple more weeks to really in the clear but I am so glad that someone around here finally could tell me something that actually had twins at 34 weeks! Congrats by the way!!! Your son didn't have to really stay that long...I've heard that boys usually stay longer than girls, so that was pretty quick, although for you I bet it seemed like years. How is your little girl doing? I hope she is getting better and growing healthy and strong. I wish you the best of luck and congrats on the little ones! Thank you so much for replying to this!!!

Old 08-23-2008, 02:31 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User

Lisa, I'm the mom of a preemie singleton.

Since you're having such painful contractions and you know you're dilated, I vote you go to L&D to be checked today. This is not about getting to Tuesday's appointment, this is about keeping those babies safe. If you're reluctant to go to the hospital, please, please at least call L&D or your doctor to report what you're feeling. Carrying twins make you high risk, meaning to take extreme care. The medical team cannot take good care of you and your babies if you don't tell them what is happening. The first thing to say when you call is "TWINS"!

If you're in early labor now, trying to obediently tough it out until Tuesday may not be best for the babies. You may need the steroid injections that matures the babies' lungs. Those shots (2 injections given 24 hours apart) meant my son, born at 27 weeks, was never on a respirator even tho he was tiny.

As my doctor told me, I was paying him, so I should feel free to call at any time day or night.

Wishing you well - Barbara

Old 08-24-2008, 11:52 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

amelu HB User

Lisa, I wanted to let you know that I have a friend who was on bedrest in the hospital from 18 weeks on because her cervix fully dialated and she had her babies at 32 weeks and they went home with her with no NICU stay. While its extremely rare it can happen. My twins were born at 36w6d and they went home with me but for the last 4-5 weeks I was monitored at the hospital a couple times a week. Hang in there.

Old 08-24-2008, 12:35 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

CBB HB User

Hi Lisa.

My twins were born on April 7th at 33 6/7 weeks. They were in the NICU for 12 days. preemies that small do not know how to eat nor swallow so until they learn how to do that and do it consistently they won't go home. Mine had feeding tubes and also needed ventilators, CPAP, IV antibiotics, and phototherapy. They were 4lbs11ozs and 5lbs. I did get 2 steroid shots ahead of time to help their lungs develop. I had the choice of going into the hospital on bedrest or delivering that day so i chose to deliver. Good luck to you.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:47 PM   #10
(female)

LisaW88 HB User

Thank you everyone for the advice! It really has helped me get through this. I had a doctors appointment today, but didn't get to see my doctor. I had to see a NP. I was so mad! She didn't even check to see if I was dialated! I am 32 weeks pregnant with twins and its noted on my charts that i've been having contractions and she had to ask me what to do! Anyway, I hope everyone else is doing well and all the mothers with the preemies are getting healthy! I have another doctors appointment on Tuesday so hopefully I'll know more! Thank you all so much!!!

Closed Thread