It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2008, 08:20 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sweetest_Pink00 HB User
Question about inducing..

I have a few questions if anyone knows...#1 how long does your labor start or do you start getting contractions once the doctors induce you? #2 How long after you get induced can you get an epidural?

I ask because it has been confirmed at my next prenatal appt. i will be able to make an appt. to be induced either on the 5th, 6th, 7th, or 8th.

I hope that i can go early Saturday Morning and maybe go home on Monday Morning to start a week off with my new little one.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:56 AM   #2
(female)

LisaW88 HB User
Re: Question about inducing..

Congrats! I thought i'd write you and let you know how my inducement worked...First of all I had my epidural before they broke me water...which kept me from feeling the contractions that started right after...next thing I knew they said it was time to push. I think it all depends on the doctor and the anethesiologist. Good luck and Congrats!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2008, 11:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sg1112 HB User

lucky lucky! i so thought i was being induced and then at my last appt he said he may not if my cervix doesnt start opening. i start getting checked next wednesday and i wanna be open!! i dont know anything about inducing but just wanted to say that im so happy for you that you get to meet your little one early. im hoping mine will just decide hes ready and come out anyday now.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:41 PM   #4
(female)

andreanchris HB User

I was induced twice. The first time they used cervidil and pitocin. I dialated to 2 cm and was sent home after 24 hours,failure to progress. I then had a dr appt, had my membranes stripped. THe next morning my water broke at home. I then went to the hospital where they started pitocin once again! Contractions started with in that hour after the pit was administered. I had no contractions with my water being broken. I recieved my epidural when I was almost 4 cm. Dr and hospitals normally have a protical on when to give epidural. I did some research on pit as well as asked the nurses in L&D and all said the same thing... 75% of women induced with pitocin will end up in a section. I had planned on avoiding it as much as I could but I was on a time limit with my waters being broken and not knowing for how long so they only allowed me to labor for 12 hours. I ended up with a section. Good luck!

Old 08-22-2008, 06:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

blue_eyed_girl HB User

1. I didn't feel any pain until the doctor broke my water. From induction to birth was about 12 hours. From breaking of waters to birth was about 9 hours. The hospital didn't call my doctor or there wouldn't have been as much time from the induction to the waters.
2. I was given an epideral about an hour after my waters were broke. I am not sure about your doctor, but I believe most won't give an epideral until you are at least 4 cm dialated.

Every birth is different. Congrats!

Old 08-22-2008, 07:37 PM   #6
(female)

DesperationGirl HB User

My son was induced. My labor, over all, lasted just short of fifteen hours. I was taken into the hospital. They put me on pitocin and cervidil. They broke my waters about an hour later. I honestly never felt the contractions, I was just in a huge ball of pain... but, I'll say this, the pain only lasted for about two hours and I don't remember most of it. They put me on an epidural as soon as it was making it so uncomfortable that I started gasping (considering how out of it I was, that wasn't long.).

Over all, the worst part of the whole ordeal is that the medicine they gave me made me so incredibly loopy that I, very honestly, don't remember much of anything.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:56 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sweetest_Pink00 HB User

Great responses from you all! I hope everything will go well with me. I cant believe the hospital is actually letting me pick a date to be induced. It all seems too unreal and things have been going so good so far that i hope i dont have a tough delivery. I had a stress test today and they told me it would last about an hour at the most. they took me off after about 25 minutes because baby was very active and said the test was good i also had an ultrasound and thinbgs were good because i have GD baby is a little big at this point but the dr told me he was in the right growing limits for patients with GD. they said within the two weeks until i get induced the baby might reach 8 pounds.

The dr was basically telling me that its a big baby. Im glad he's growing but i always thought a big baby was about 9 lbs. or more. But im glad to hear everything is well at this point. I watch so much tv and shows on babies it all makes me scared that things might not go well so its like right now i cant even think about the pain im going to be in. But i rather have the pain then for anything major to go wrong.

They are not going to put me on the diabetes medicine as long as i stick to the diet and gd levels are good. I cant wait till he gets here!

DeseprationGirl: I would have to say that i think i will be in a ball of pain like you. I say this because no matter how many times the doctors explain to me how to time contractions i just dont understand and end up feeling silly that i cant get it. I dont understand why im so dumb at this. SO i think that the pain i'll be in i might wont even recognize a breakin between contractions. But as long as it doesnt last for 9 months like the pregnancy i think WE ALL will do JUST FINE!

Closed Thread