It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2008, 03:55 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

blue_eyed_girl HB User
Silly Question...Constipation

I don't recall being constipated in my adult life, even with my first pregnancy. I am 12 weeks in to my second. Today I felt the need to go, but had to strain to get any results. I am having a pain in my lower abdomen. I can feel it when I touch it. I was lilttle gassy and that did relieve it some. It doesn't feel like PMS cramping. Is this constipation? I know it is safe to take over the counter drugs, but I don't want to take anything until I know exactly what it is.

Old 08-24-2008, 04:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sg1112 HB User
Re: Silly Question...Constipation

it sounds like its either constipation or just gas. if you dont wanna take anything try to increase fiber and fruits. every since i have been on a special diet for my gd that has a lot of fiber and fruit i havent had any problems. if you want a quick fix though my dr tells me to take colace. before you take anything though you should call and ask what they recommend

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2008, 04:15 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User

It sounds to me like it could be. A lot of women get constipated in pregnancy. I am like you though, with my first pregnancy, I had NO issues with it at all--actually, I think I was going more than I had been before I got pregnant. But with this pregnancy (16 weeks), I am not going very often at all, and a lot of the time when I do, it's a struggle.. Try orange juice. A couple of glasses a day normally seems to do the job for me. Come to think of it, during my first pregnancy, I was obsessed with oj, I probably drank a litre a day. Maybe that's what kept me so regular?! Good luck!

Whiskers

Old 08-24-2008, 06:00 PM   #4
(female)

Green Frog HB User

I feel for your pain! It can get so uncomfortable. My first pregnancy, this is how I found out I was pregnant. I thought it was period cramps at first (really bad period cramps) but my period never came and it felt a little different than period cramps. I was in tears many nights because it was so bad. Anyway, in addition to some of the other posts about food choices, I also found that walking around while massaging my abdomen helped to "shake things loose" so that I could actually go. Many nights I woke up with incredibly painful cramping and just paced the living room floors. Usually after 30 minutes or so of the walking/massaging I could go to the bathroom. Good luck!

Old 08-24-2008, 06:21 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

blue_eyed_girl HB User

Thanks. I was starting to worry something was wrong.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:25 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

I would not advise taking any drugs. You can drink apple juice and use foods to help relieve constipation naturally usually. I would seriously look into this first and give it a chance. You can maintain by eating the right foods that will help prevent constipation.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:18 AM   #7
(female)

salvias643 HB User

Hey -

I'm living the same story. Never constipated, and bang, once i started taking those prenatal vitamins I've had a lot of problems. Some lower abdominal pain as well, like you described. Plus some bleeding when I go. (I know, tmi, but that's what pregnancy seems to be about...)

I've pretty much solved the problem now -- as long as I'm drinking enough water and eating enough fiber, life is good. I highly suggest kiwis, as they seem to work really well. In addition, raisin bran, raw veggies, lots of fresh fruit etc, seems to do the trick.

Good Luck!

Closed Thread