It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2008, 07:54 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sweetest_Pink00 HB User
Urination during delivery

I have heard of women having bowel movements while delivering due to the pressure and i know that once the baby is down or head he almost out you cant just get up and say "bathroom break hold on"....so i was wondering if anyone has or has ever heard of a women urinating while delivering and will the doctor look at you weird for doing so?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2008, 07:58 AM   #2
(female)

going2thebeach1 HB User
Re: Urination during delivery

Yes, it is normal to urinate during delivery and No, your doctor isn't going to look at you weird. Trust me, they've seen EVERYTHING. It's totally normal and you probably won't even know that you did it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2008, 08:10 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sweetest_Pink00 HB User

Its funny i was thinking about how the medicine might take away your ability to know when you have to go and i was just thinking that i wouldnt want to have an embarrassing moment.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:19 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

If you use drugs for pain then they insert a cathedar. Many women have a bowel movement, I know I did. It is quick and the pressure of pushing forces it out whether you want to or not. None of the staff really think twice about that at all. If you are numb you may not even know.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:50 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

sweetestpink, you're going to have so much other icky stuff coming out of that end, nobody's going to think twice about a bit of urine or a bm!!!

with all three of my girls, i had a cath put in, and it stayed in all the way up until it was time to push.... so when that time came, my bladder was empty and that was one thing less to worry about! up until they put the cath in, they let me go in a bed pan (wheee...), and as the other posters mentioned, the staff is so used to all that, it really is no big deal to them. they keep waterproof pads under you and change them out frequently to keep it as mess free as possible.

just relax and stop worrying so much (easier said than done, i know!).... everything will be okay and before you know it, you'll be holding that beautiful baby in your arms!!!

Last edited by marisuela; 08-25-2008 at 02:01 PM.

Old 08-25-2008, 03:06 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User

All of the above posters are right, if you do, and it's pretty likely, it's NO big deal. Nothing will embarass you at that point. I had an epidural with my first labor and I remember when it started wearing off, I kept feeling like I had to pee soooo bad. I told the nurse and she did insert a catheter. I felt like it would never end, but after my bladder was empty she removed it. I thought it would make me feel better, but nope. By that time I was feeling pretty much everything again and the empty bladder really didn't help. I can say though, and this is soooo embarassing but funny. After I had my daughter the doctor was down there stiching me up from the episiotomy and I don't know what happened but all of the sudden I was either farting or there was just air coming out of me somewhere. I felt like it wouldn't stop and lasted forever and it was so embarassing and I felt so bad for the doctor because he was like RIGHT there. But he was a complete gentlemen and just went about his buisness like he didn't even notice. So don't worry, whatever you do, they've seen it before and probably worse!

Old 08-25-2008, 08:27 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sweetest_Pink00 HB User

I get what you guys are saying but this one thing is bothering me, this catheter thing. Where exactly does it go. Howlong does it take to put in and does it hurt?

Old 08-26-2008, 04:06 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User

It goes in the area where you pee from, the urethra. It depends on whether or not you have pain medicine during labor. My epidural was starting to wear off, so I could feel them putting the catheter in. It wasn't horrible, but I wouldn't have it done for fun. I would try not to worry about it. One, you might not even have to have one....not everyone does. Two, it's nothing compared to everything else going on. Are you planning to have an epidural? If you don't have an epidural or pain mediciation, you may be able to get up and go on your own. I am not sure how that works.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:20 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sweetest_Pink00 HB User

Oh i am going to have an epidural and if i didn't i don't think i would be able to do anything. I don't think i will be able to move anywhere.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:21 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User

You might be surprised at what you can do when put to the test. I was all about the epidural and couldn't wait to get one. It worked wonders, for a while. When it wore off, I started to get really worried that I wasn't going to be able to handle it. But when the doctor told me that giving me more would just prolong the whole process, I opted out and stuck through the pain. If your epidural works for you, then you are good to go! I am actually going to have one again this time but when it's getting time to being close to pushing, I am asking them to turn it off. I just don't want to lay there for two hours trying to push the baby out if I can't feel anything. I think I got spoiled during my first delivery after only having to push for 10-15 minutes. Two hours seems like a nightmare to me now!

Old 08-26-2008, 01:58 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sweetest_Pink00 HB User

Delia-

I totally agree!

Closed Thread