It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2008, 07:31 PM   #1
(female)

DesperationGirl HB User
Excersize and Pregnancy (And stuff.)

Hullo there, real quick question...

I was 120 lbs before my first son. LOL Never again, probably. With back to back pregnancies (this being my second baby and I'm at 23 weeks), I'm at 211 lbs. My doctor (not to mention me!!!) is horrified at the weight gain, and wants me to not gain more than eight more pounds. Fine by me.

First off, question: I was diagnosed with a condition that I can't spell which was essentially summarized to me as a "carbohydrate allergy". I eat carbs and my body sort of goes "What? That's not right! But what do I do with it?" and sets it aside, thus the weight gain. Most doctors think this is a load of hooey, but considering that the diet I was put on (before my pregnancies) caused me to successfully lose over a hundred pounds in a very short amount of time (and I've never felt better! I also didn't have any asthma difficulties while on the diet, and I'm -severely- asthmatic.), I'll trust the doctor who diagnosed and prescribed the diet. I mentioned it to the OB who literally laughed. My insurance doesn't take any other providers in the area, so I don't really have a choice to move to another doctor who might be more open minded. After the baby is born, I intend on going back on the diet which my doctor said was appropriate due to the condition. In the mean time, I'd at least like to start excersizing because I also want to get into jogging and biking as some additional help in getting back into shape. With two kids under two, I know that I'll need it! I'm eating regular food for the time being, and it's making me turn into a human balloon.

So, what sort of excersize can I do, exactly? I honestly don't know. Most of the books I've looked at just sort of go "Walk. But, don't walk. Jog, but not really. Excersize so long as you feel comfortable, but don't really." etc. It's very confusing and rather frustrating. I took a pedometer to work with me and discovered that I average out to walking fifteen miles a day just at work. Kinda scary, but even that doesn't feel like I'm doing much. What else is there?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2008, 01:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User
Re: Excersize and Pregnancy (And stuff.)

Whatever you do has to be done with your OB's approval. By mid-pregnancy most women are only comfortable walking, unless they previously were active. I wouldn't push it much... pregnancy is tough on the body! Now's not the time to start a program. Wait until after your 6-week post-partum checkup.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:48 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

Do you have an allergy to wheat/gluten? You can change some of your diet now and try to eat the proper foods. As for exercise I would start walking a lot. I never asked permission to exercise, but I continued to walk at least several miles daily and I also lifted weights at the gym. I felt fantastic and I think the constant moving and physical activity contributed to my easy pregnancy. I never slowed down once until about a week before delivery. You mentioned riding a bike.....try it out! Biking is a great activity. I went biking with my brother when I was 7-8 months in the winter. Make sure you adjust your attitude and that you are open to exercize and that you are determined to stay healthy and keep moving.

Last edited by Mod08; 08-28-2008 at 07:14 PM.

Old 08-29-2008, 04:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

Biking is one of those no-nos after you get into mid-pregnancy -- your center of gravity is different and there is a greater likelihood of falling and hurting the baby. I'd definitely ask your doctor about it!

Swimming is a great exercise, though! No chance of falling!!! LOL

Again, don't start something new in pregnancy without your doctor's permission... but continue doing what you might have done before, such as walking, lifting hand weights, etc.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:26 PM   #5
(female)

DesperationGirl HB User

Thanks for the advice, but swimming is definitely out of the question. There are no public pools in my state that don't charge more than I even pay for my cable. Yikes.

Closed Thread