It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2008, 07:55 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sweetest_Pink00 HB User
Worried about my GD and my NEW levels

At first i would test my fasting levels at around 85-90 and one time it was 74 my after breakfast, lunch and dinner levels would be around 110-176. This is high according to my doctor. She told me that it should not be over 120.

I was put on a medicine: glyburide and i took my first dose last night with dinner. Today my fasting level was 70 and two hours after breakfast it was 66. It has NEVER been this low throughout the weeks i've been testing. I know the medicine caused this.

Before taking the medicine i asked my doctor should i still stick to the diet while on the medicine she said yes. Do you guys think i still need the diet even though my levels were this low. I'll monitor how my levels are after lunch and dinner and i'll have my next ultrasound and stress test on friday and being as though i'll be getting induced next week i might stop the diet. My doctor said if the levels drop under seventy to drink some oranged juice or eat sweat candy and then check again in 20-30 minutes.

Like i said in another post if its not one thing its another. At first i was worried about my levels being too high and now im worried about them being too low. Im glad this will all be over in the next two weeks. Is anyone else on medicine for GD can you tell me how your levels has been with the medicine?

Old 08-27-2008, 08:55 AM   #2
(female)

rbecca HB User
Re: Worried about my GD and my NEW levels

I would stay with the diet for sure, sorry to say- I'm sure that's not what you wanted to hear The baby can put on around a pound a week in the las few weeks of pregnancy & not many moms enjoy pushing out a 9 or10 lb baby Plus the high glucose levels can make baby gain more!The medication is intended to keep those BG levels down, and it seems as if it's working well, 66 is low and orange juice should bring you back up. A reading in the 170's is not good for you or the baby-don't panic, if your doc was concerned they would have said something. I had GD with both of my kids and we didn't have any meds other than insulin injections back in 1991 or 1992 my son was 9lbs 5oz & my daughter 9lbs 7oz OUCH.... I kicked the diet the last 10 days with my son.... and my glucose level on the day he was born shot up to 773,needless to say he ended up being a "stat-section". He was perfectly healthy... just a tad larger than all the other newborns in the nursery, people actually were looking in the window and saying "wow ! look at that one over there!!!"

Sounds like you are real close, you mentioned induction next week, congratulations and good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2008, 10:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sweetest_Pink00 HB User

So are you saying that if my levels due to the medicine is making my levels that low i should just drink orange juice to bring it back up and stick with the diet?

I think that i can stick to the diet but if my levels are that low i will be worried. Your response makes alot of sense to me. Thanks alot! When i went for my ultra sound they said the baby was 7lbs 2 oz already so for the best for the baby i think that i will listen to what the doctor says. Besides i like orange juice!!!lol

Old 08-27-2008, 01:57 PM   #4
(female)

rbecca HB User

Hi there

Yes, the orange juice should raise your blood sugar reading out of that low range, if after drinking the juice your levels don't come back up within the "normal" range make sure you call your doctor. Drinking the orange juice works well for me but everyone is different.

*** Just to clarify one thing- you are still taking the medication though right??

Talk w/ your doc if your glucose level keeps going down too low, and never stop taking the medication without talking to your doctor

I hope all goes really great for you and I saw another question you had asked re: urination during delivery..... Trust me the staff at the hospital has seen everything you can think of and more.... Right now you make think that peeing while pushing would embarass the heck out of you, during the pushing phase you will not care. Also, many hospitals put in a foley catheter if you have an epidural, just ask your doc if the hospital you're delivering at does that or not.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sg1112 HB User

your body will take about a week to adjust to the medicine. when i started my insulin i was getting to low and i would freak out but after a week or so i got used to it and now it works really good. 70 isnt dangerously low. im allowed to go all the way down to 60 for my fasting and ive been as low as 52 and was ok. my after meals also have to be under 120 but my range is between 60-120. dont change the diet though you have to do them both together so your body can figure out what it needs to do. go and get yourself some glucose tablets that you can carry around with you just in case. i know how frustrating it is. i was paranoid when i was first put on insulin i was checking my blood sugar like 15 times a day cuz i was sure i was going to bottom out and hit the floor. since my morning sugars had been a little low and i was spilling ketones the dietician now has me getting up around 3 am and drinking a glass of milk to keep me from dropping out. it seems to be helping a lot. ask your dr before you start using orange juice. in a normal diabetic its ok but i was told that because what we have is a little different that im not to have any fruit juice no matter what because it will shoot you up too high and you will have a hard time coming back down. milk peanut butter on bread and glucose tablets are what i was told to use instead. but like i said every dr has there own way of doing things and in the 60's are good numbers to my drs so i wouldnt freak out too much. your not gonna pass out from being in the 60's. hypoglycemia is when you go below 45. my grandpa has type 2 and hes been as low as the 30's and nothing bad happened to him he just eats something and comes right back up. hopefully everything straightens out and if not at least its only 2 more weeks and then you wont have to worry about it anymore

Old 08-27-2008, 07:54 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sweetest_Pink00 HB User

SG- you took alotof stress and worries off my shoulders. Im glad there are other people that can relate to me. I would absolutely freak out all the time if i didnt have this board to post to. i love the feedback u give and support. Today after lunch my levels was 85 and i did talk to my doctor she didnt seem too concerned about the low levels either and she did tell me about glucose tablets also she suggested that i carry around life savers to help.

Rbecca-yeah im still taking the medication my second dose was tonight.

Closed Thread