It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2008, 10:19 AM   #1
(female)

eloise_girl24 HB User
Red face Trying to get used to getting blood taken

So i know that getting your blood taken is one of the wonderful joys of being pregnant i had my first big appointment on Tuesday (two days ago) and they had to take 7 viles of blood. I HATE GETTING BLOOD TAKEN. My husband had to talk me off the ledge before it happened.

I usually faint when I get it taken but this time my husband coached me through it and I didn't which i guess is good news It did still make me feel sick to my stomach though. Also today, two days later, my arm still hurts and when i look at the tiny hole in my arm it makes me feel sick almost like I'm going to pass out. My arm usually doesn't hurt this long after getting blood taken but I think it may have something to do with pregnant women having more blood in thier veins, maybe since I'm sensitive and paying attention to it, it hurts more. Sometimes I can feel like the blood is pulsing through my vein right at my arm and it aches.

Anyone else have fears from the bloodwork? Not the actual results but from the actual taking of the blood. The nurse kept saying "honey, after this is all over, you'll be a pro at getting your blood taken". This is my first pregnancy and I know that my next appointment, at 16 weeks, I have to get blood taken again.

Anyone have any words of encouragement or explanations for why my arm still aches? Thanks!

Old 08-28-2008, 12:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sg1112 HB User
Re: Trying to get used to getting blood taken

i was just like you maybe even worse. ever since i was real little i had to be restrained to get blood taken cuz i would have such a big panic attack and flip out. i would throw up everytime i had to go to the dr because i was always afraid they would take blood but even when they wanted to i wouldnt let them. now im 36 wks and have done the initial blood test, the one hour glucose screening, and i had to do the 3 hr one where they take blood 4 times, once every hour and now since i have gd i have to get a1c's done every 2 weeks. i didnt think i would ever get used to it but now its no big deal i even watch them when they do it and am now thinking about going to school to be a lab tech. kinda funny how things work out, anyone that knows me would have said thats the last job i would ever have. no one likes getting blood taken i mean who wants a needle stuck in there arm but you will get used to it.

i was so bad that i used to get nauseous looking at the inside of my arms. if someone touches me there i still get queasy. it either still hurts cuz the person who did it wasnt gentle enough or it could be that you are obsessing over it so much that you just think it hurts. dont look at it. put on a long sleeve shirt if you have to to help you ignore it.

Last edited by sg1112; 08-28-2008 at 12:17 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2008, 12:36 PM   #3
(female)

eloise_girl24 HB User

Thanks for your reply! I get sick if people touch the inside of my arm too...I thought i was the only one! I also get sick of people pinch the upper part of my arm because it reminds me of getting a shot. I'm such a baby! You're right though, it probably still hurts because I'm thinking about it. Plus I forgot to ask for them to take blood out of my left arm (I'm right handed so I do more stuff with my right arm).

I'm not looking forward to all the blood work associated with pregnancy but it's definitely worth it in the end! I just want a happy health baby and if this is what it takes I'm up for it Thanks for your words of encouragement!

Last edited by eloise_girl24; 08-28-2008 at 12:37 PM.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:54 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

bunny9987 HB User

i feel your pain.... i have passed out in my lifetime getting blood drawn, so i know it can happen. So everytime i go, i freak out. Usually i am fine, i think most of it is mental. But by time this is over we'll be pro's.

Closed Thread