It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2008, 07:48 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User
So annoyed....what is going on?

Ok, about a month and a half ago, I thought I had a UTI and a yeast infection both at the same time. I went to my OB and they tested for a UTI and yeast and/or bacterial infection. The test for the UTI was positive so I was put on a week of antibiotics. It cleared it up right away. However, the tests for the yeast and/or bacterial infections were both negative. The problem is that off and on, I am still having itching and A LOT of discharge. The itching is not constant, and neither is the discharge, but in the last few days, the discharge has increased like crazy. I don't understand what is causing me to be itchy if I don't have an infection??? I am sorry, this is completely TMI, but I just don't know what else to do at this point. It's so annoying.

Another thing, I am confused what is up with my body all around during this pregnancy. While pregnant this time around, I have had Shingles, go figure, a UTI, the off and on itching that apparently isn't an infection, and now in the past month, I had a stye in my right eye which went away and then came right back. What is wrong with my body??? Does pregnancy cause lower resistance to infection or anything? I feel like my body just hates me....every time I turn around I am having to take medicine for something different. And I worry, I hate doing that when pregnant, I am afraid it's not good for the baby.

Any one else had any of these problems? I feel like I am falling apart.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2008, 03:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tami52100 HB User
Re: So annoyed....what is going on?

I know how you feel. It seems to be this time around if anything can go wrong it will go wrong. Hang in there we don't have much longer. Then maybe things will go back to normal.
our angel 2/16/05
10/16/08..... AVA GRACE
Maybe TTC #3 if it's ment to be ok if not ok not stressing this time. :-)

Old 08-30-2008, 04:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sg1112 HB User

antibiotics can cause yeast infections so even if you didnt have one when you were tested since you took them for the uti you could have developed one. pregnancy does weaken your immune system and makes it much more difficult to fight of viruses and infections. i know what you mean bout not wanting to take medicine but for things like uti's and vaginal infections its better for the baby that you clear it up then just letting it go. you might wanna have the dr recheck you. it couldnt hurt

Old 08-31-2008, 06:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

oh, i have been there! i completely feel for you!

something i do when i think a uti is coming on, is i drink a TON of cranberry juice (pure cranberry juice, not the sugary concentrated kind....), and usually it works for me so that i don't have to get on antibiotics.

the itching could be a yeast infection from the antibiotics as another poster said, OR it could be irritation due to the excess discharge you are having, and i imagine that because it's summer, you are probably sweating more in that area which also can be irritating. i'd definitely have it checked out with your doctor. it's normal to have a ton of discharge.... disgusting, but normal. using panty liners and changing them frequently will help (i used kotex extra long liners.... they seemed to give the best coverage for me).

if it's a yeast infection, you obviously need to have it treated.

if it's irritation due to excess discharge, then treat it like a bad diaper rash. try to keep yourself dry down there by staying out of the heat so you don't sweat, change your panty liners frequently, make sure you are completely dry before putting your panties back on after going to the bathroom, after a bath or shower, you might even use a fan or hair dryer to make sure you are really dry.

anyway, hopefully this helps. good luck!

~mcr

Old 08-31-2008, 04:59 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

Yes, you are right. Your immune system is depressed when you are pregnant. You are more prone to picking up viruses and bacterial infections. Your body is too busy fighting that huge ALIEN in your belly to focus on minor things like UTIs and yeast infections -- LOL!

Plus, since so many things are weird in your body, it's not uncommon for all of these other things to go wrong while pregnant.

All I want to know is this: who in the heck has a darn "glow"???

Old 08-31-2008, 08:34 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

Antibiotics wreak havoc with your body, they essentially kill both good and bad bacteria leaving you open to sickness. The body can become more open to sickness due to pregnancy so it is important to maintain yourself. You probably have an overgrowth of candida yeast or bad bacteria. You can drink or eat probiotic yogurt or take probiotics. I do this and my 2 year old also does this, she has yet to be sick a day in her life. You really need to make sure you are truly getting your vitamins and minerals because they are the tools that your body needs to protect itself. When you are truly healthy your body can fight off anything. Build you immune system up, it is weakened. There are natural antibiotics that you can take and then only kill the bad bacteria. I have cured many problems without the use of drugs.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:29 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User

I am leaning more towards the fact that the increase in discharge is causing me irritation because the symptoms I am having now are the same ones I was having when I had my doctor check the first time. However, I do have an appointment tomorrow, so I am going to ask him to check again, just to be sure. As for the rest of it, I don't know what the deal is. Like I said, I didn't have these problems during my first pregnancy at all, but again, EVERY pregnancy seems to be different. Thanks for all of your advice!!!

Old 09-02-2008, 02:21 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

skyy11 HB User

Oh, I just hated all the extra discharge! I never had an infection during preg., but all the extra discharge just drove me crazy!! And my vulva area had a different smell to it- which I was sensitive to smells anyway, which made it worse. Sorry if TMI, I just want you to know you are not alone in this!

As far as the other things, I think your resistance gets lower when you are preg. I had a bad cold/Flu which put me to the ER and took over one month to get over. And you just feel so much more tired all the time. So I agree that it much harder to fight off things. Keep your chin up!

Closed Thread