It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2008, 06:14 AM   #1
(female)

going2thebeach1 HB User
Pain in my hands and numbness @ Night

I'm 37 weeks and have been experiencing pain in my hands (feels like arthritis). Sometimes it's hard to even make a fist. Also, at night, both my hands will fall asleep (pins and needles) even if I'm not lying on them. Anyone else experiencing this?

Old 09-01-2008, 06:16 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

AliceT HB User
Re: Pain in my hands and numbness @ Night

sounds like carpel tunnel (sp?) syndrome. Apparently very painful but in most cases goes after the birth (sometime lasts a couple of weeks). If it's really bad then a physiotherapist might be able to help with some splints. Good luck I hope you can get some sleep

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2008, 03:12 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sg1112 HB User

carpal tunnel is real common in pregnancy because of all the extra fluid pushing against the nerve. you can get braces for it but i mean your so close now i dont know if you would want to spend all that money for just a couple weeks. ive heard they arent cheap. i read somewhere that if they go numb to hang them off the bed and shake them but i dont know if it works and i cant remember where i read that it was on the internet somewhere. you may wanna look up carpal tunnel during pregnancy you might be able to find some tips to help with the pain.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:35 PM   #4
(female)

going2thebeach1 HB User

I actually do that "hang my hands off the bed thing." That always helps. Thanks for the input!

Old 09-01-2008, 06:20 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

hotmama08 HB User

I actually started experiencing carpal tunnel on the late stage of my second trimester and was bothering me a lot. I am so stiff in early morning, it was tough even combing my hair since my work starts at 6 in the morning. I didnt really do anything and now Im 32 weeks, I get occasional pins and needles.

Drink lots of water and avoid salty food. You are lucky, very close to D-day so just keep on exercising those hands. There not much we can do with carpal tunnel. It will still hurt even using the braces because of the water retention impeding nerve endings. Some women dont get it because they dont swell at all. Just lucky I guessed!

Old 09-02-2008, 10:02 AM   #6
(female)

going2thebeach1 HB User

To be honest, I'd almost rather have the pain than the pins and needles. That sensation is so freakin' weird. My hands constantly feel warm . . . . . I'm being induced 2 weeks from tomorrow so I don't have to deal with it that much longer. The leg cramps suck too! Yesterday morning I woke up screaming because I had a HORRIBLE cramp in my calf (low potassium, I guess). Now today, it feels like I ran a marathon . . . the muscle is so sore. ll this makes me appreciate my mother, lol!

Old 09-04-2008, 04:51 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari15 HB User

I just started experiencing this in the last two days. I'm glad I remember seeing this thread. Two nites in a row now with the needles waking me up. And the pinkie and ring finger in my left hand are hurting constantly. Unfortunately I am only 19 wks along and am worried about losing the ability to type. I can't imagine not communicating in that fashion especially since I turn to this board constantly for support! For now its poking at the keyboard one-handed... not the most efficient means! I hope this subsides and I hope you are feeling beeter! I'm so glad the light at the end of your tunnel is near!

Closed Thread