It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2008, 12:51 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User
Cramping in the second trimester

Has anyone else experienced this? For the past hour or two I've been having pretty constant menstrual-like cramping (I'm 17 weeks). I haven't done any exercise or had intercourse, no strenuous activity at all. I haven't had any spotting or bleeding at all. I'm just wondering how common this is. Thanks!
Our newest bundle, Brody Anderson! - February 09'

Old 09-02-2008, 01:10 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

skyy11 HB User
Re: Cramping in the second trimester

I did have cramping at about 32-34 weeks w/ my second preg. I would give your Dr. a call to be on the safe side if it lasts longer than an hour. They may want to do an internal to check that your cervix is still closed. Have you had any BH before? Is this your 1st preg.? I had more cramping w/ my second preg. that was quite painful at times. Keep us posted.

Sincerely, skyy11

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2008, 02:08 PM   #3
(female)

missmeliss HB Usermissmeliss HB User

I'm actually going to the doctor in an hour because of the same thing. I'm almost 21 weeks and have been having what feels like braxton hicks contractions for the past week. It feels crampy and uncomfortable and sometimes lasts up to an hour at a time. I'm also having severe pain on the left side of my abdomen that was so bad over the past 2 days I could hardly stand up at times. Since it's been going on so long, I decided to go get checked out, at least to put my mind at ease. I think you probably should call your doctor and at least ask what they think. Most likely it's just pains from your uterus growing - but better safe than sorry! I hate going to the doctor, and will do almost anything to avoid it - but I will do it to make sure my baby is doing ok in there
Good luck

Old 09-02-2008, 05:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for the replies!
Unfortunately, my doctor is closed so I'll wait until tomorrow, and if the cramping is still there, I'll call first thing. I'm still experiencing the same amount, so I'm a little worried, especially since I've been taking it easy since it began (little activity at all).
Skyy--this is my third pregnancy (second ended in m/c). I didn't think about it until you mentioned, but I suppose it could be BH's. I remember getting them with my first baby (who is now 16 months), but I'm sure that they didn't start happening until quite a bit later--maybe the beginning of the third trimester. That could be what it is, but I worry because they are so constant. It makes me feel better to read that your cramping was worse with the second pregnancy, because that's how mine has been! Right from the beginning I've had much more cramping than I ever did with ds. I've already had an ultrasound that showed everything was fine, and I have another next week.
MissMeliss--let us know how things go with your appointment! I'm hoping this is just pain from my uterus growing. Thanks for the reassurance.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:39 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sg1112 HB User

it could be bh or it could just be gas pains. ive been getting them bad lately especially in the middle of the night and they hurt. it feels like how your legs cramp and get sore after you run a lot only in my stomach. its not fun but im assuming its all normal with the muscle stretching and everything else going on in there

Old 09-03-2008, 12:33 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tami52100 HB User

When I was 17weeks I was cramping bad was sure I was having a m/c again (had one at 14 weeks) So I called the dr he said lay down (complete bedrest) and drink tons of water all you can handle. It still didn't help so I went to the ER come to find out I was majorly dehydrated stayed in the hospital for almost a week on fluids. I was drinking and all but not enough.
So maybe try bedrest and alot of fluids if still the samething go to the hospital or the dr and be checked out better to be safe.
our angel 2/16/05
10/16/08..... AVA GRACE
Maybe TTC #3 if it's ment to be ok if not ok not stressing this time. :-)

Old 09-03-2008, 12:34 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well the cramping went away sometime yesterday evening, and today I feel fine. I researched it on the net and saw that what feels like menstrual like cramping is pretty normal all through pregnancy, so that makes me feel better.

Whiskers

Old 09-03-2008, 02:35 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

skyy11 HB User

Glad to hear you are feeling better! I think it can be pretty normal. Good luck w/ the rest of your pregnancy!

Old 09-05-2008, 07:15 AM   #9
(female)

eloise_girl24 HB User

We will have cramping almost throughout the whole pregnancy. (especially at the time when you would be regularly having your period) i had a lot of cramping around 13 weeks (I am 15 weeks now) and luckily i was going in for my 1st trimester screening so i asked my doctor what she thought. i was having an u/s done for the genetic testing and while she was going the u/s she was showing me on the monitor the BH contractions i was having. it was so weird it was like a spike that was pushing on the baby. she said the only way to make the cramping go away was to drink more water. if youre getting cramps she said you need to drink water. she said drink water until you cant drink water any more and then drink some more. i have really started paying attention to the amount of water i drink every day and i have noticed that the more water i drink, the lesser my cramps are. the baby needs a lot of fluid to swim around in and when you get dehydrated you get BH. she also said they could worsen around the time of the month when you would regularly get your period but to just take some tylenol and drink water hope this helps!

Last edited by eloise_girl24; 09-05-2008 at 07:16 AM.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:18 AM   #10
(female)

missmeliss HB Usermissmeliss HB User

I saw my Doc the other day and she said that the cramping was Braxton Hicks contractions. She checked my cervix and said it is high, firm, and closed - so nothing to worry about! The severe pain in my left side I have been having is apparently round ligament pain, which I have read about, but I had no idea it could be so severe.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:53 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Eloise--Thanks for the advice. I have always heard to drink lots of fluids, but I didn't know that if you're not drinking enough, you can get bh's. I will make sure to pay attention to how much water I get every day. Thanks again!

MissMeliss--Glad to hear everything went well with your appointment! I'm thinking too that the cramps I had were also Bh's. I have been continuing to have them (not often though) here and there, but I'm sure it's nothing serious. I'm really going to make sure I get lots of water, like Eloise said!

Whiskers

Old 09-08-2008, 08:23 AM   #12
(female)

eloise_girl24 HB User

No problem! Yes drink lots and lots of water. I have to remind myself throughout the day to go grab some water to drink. I sit at my desk with a big cup of it and every time i finish it i go and refill it. (of course i pee more during the day but who isnt these days ) but yes just to reiterate what the u/s tech said dehydration can cause BH. you can be dehyrated without even knowing it. she said most people walk around daily dehydrated, espeically in the summer. since ive been drinking more water, my BH and cramping have completely gone away. of course ill get the stray pang from time to time but nothing like i was having at 13/14 weeks. i'm glad to hear you are feeling better!

Closed Thread