It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2008, 11:51 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sg1112 HB User
dilating?

i go today at 330 for my 37 wk appt. i got checked last week and i was still closed. im really hoping that today i will have at least started to open up. when do most first time moms start dilating? is it possible that its just not gonna happen? i was thinking at my appt last week i was gonna be dilated cuz of such an increase in discharge and its more mucousy but nope still closed!

Old 09-03-2008, 12:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User
Re: dilating?

Oh, the joys of impending labor... I remember being SO anxious to hear that I was making some progress with ds, or even to go into labor because at the end of it, most women are MORE than ready to deliver that child!
At my 37 week appointment my ob said I was 1cm. I couldn't of been happier! I was thinking with 3 weeks to go to my due date, and 1 cm I would for sure have the baby at or by 40 weeks. Well, over the next week I began having contractions at home. Nothing regular, but they did hurt, so I thought at the very least, I was most likely dilating. I went for my 38 week appointment, and she said I was closed!!!! I couldn't believe it, and she really had no explanation for why I was supposedly 1cm the week prior, but then closed at 38 weeks. So I don't know if she was wrong about my 1cm, or if you can go backwards, or what.... But anyways, all I know is that I was so incredibly dissapointed all week until 39 weeks. I went for my appointment and I was 1cm again, then at 40 weeks I was 2cm, and scheduled for induction at 41 weeks. The day I was induced and gave birth, I went in at 10am (still 2cm's), and by 5pm I was still 2cm's. So anyways, I did end up dilating all the way and giving birth vaginally after having an epidural.
Sorry for the long post! I just wanted to let you know that even if you're still not dilated, try not to be dissapointed! You won't be pregnant for that much longer! 9 months seems like an eternity, I know... It is a positive sign though that even though you weren't dilated, your body is still preparing itself for labor (with the change in cm). Let us know how it goes!
Our newest bundle, Brody Anderson! - February 09'

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2008, 03:17 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User

Yep, with my first daughter, I was 1 cm for what seemed like forever. I know it was at least three weeks. The day I went into labor I had an appointment and my contractions weren't unbearable yet so I went. I was only 3 cm at that point and in labor. So you never know. But like Whiskers said, even though you were still closed, it seems like your body is getting ready in it's own way. And keep in mind, these things can and will change VERY quickly. Good luck and let us know how it turned out!!!

Old 09-03-2008, 05:11 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sg1112 HB User

well i went to my appt and im 2 cm! i go for an ultrasound on monday and then when i go to my 38 wk appt on wednesday he will set my induction date for either the 14th 15th or 16th. they are taking him early because of the gd. i was soooo excited when he said a 2 i was hoping for it but i didnt think it would actually happen.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:49 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sweetest_Pink00 HB User

I have to say when i went for my appt on thursday i was closed and baby's head was high i was hoping to be dialated at least to a 1 but now it feels like the baby's head is a tad bit lower than it was since then but i still dont think im dialated. When i walk at sometimes it feels like the baby can just fall out. And then at other times it feels like baby goes back up.

SG- Im happy for you that you are dialated really, but like i told delia so jealous of you two...lol

Im thinking that when i go to be induced on saturday i wont be dialated and i might dialate slow. But im hoping it will happen really quick...but not to quick that its overwhelming.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:18 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

skyy11 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg1112 View Post
i go today at 330 for my 37 wk appt. i got checked last week and i was still closed. im really hoping that today i will have at least started to open up. when do most first time moms start dilating? is it possible that its just not gonna happen? i was thinking at my appt last week i was gonna be dilated cuz of such an increase in discharge and its more mucousy but nope still closed!
With my 1st was @ 38 weeks and 1 1/2 cm. Walking a lot and swimming I think helped me dilate more because I had my son 1 week later!

But it is not always a sure sign for labor to start. My second I was 1 cm for a little over two weeks. It is just so hard to say...keep walking as much as you can and rest too. You are so close now!

Old 09-05-2008, 03:45 PM   #7
(female)

going2thebeach1 HB User

I went for my 37 week appointment yesterday. I had an internal exam and there was no change to my cervix (bummer!). At the office that I go to, there are 7 different doctors that I can see. They recommend that you see all of them because when it's time to deliver, it's whomever is on call. Well, I thought I'd seen everyone, but then yesterday there was a new guy (well, new to me). He kind of gave me a hard time about the induction (I got the feeling he was like, "who the hell do you think you are opting for an induction when there are women who really need it"). He was also not gentle when if came to the exam. It hurt like crazy. Of course, after checking the calendar, he is the one scheduled to do my induction . . . . . <<sigh>> Just my luck!

I go for my 38 week appointment on Tuesday . . . . maybe I will have made progress then.

Closed Thread