It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2008, 07:30 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sweetest_Pink00 HB User
Silly but...How soon can you eat after delivery??

This is a question that i have now i want to know if i begin labor and then have a baby hours later, i know im not supposed to eat so does anyone know how long after i deliver that i will be able to eat something. Im asking because i usually get hungry every three to four hours...lol

Old 09-05-2008, 07:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sg1112 HB User
Re: Silly but...How soon can you eat after delivery??

idk for sure but i heard from people that have had epidurals that a lot of time your kinda nauseous for a while so you dont really wanna eat but i wanna eat! gd is supposed to go away instantly after you deliver and i want some pizza and ice cream!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2008, 09:50 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sweetest_Pink00 HB User

I took my baby shower cake out of the freezer so it can thaw out by time i get home cause thats what i plan to eat so i hope this gd does go away. I also want some fried chicken i havent had fried food since i was diagnosed wit gd. Its a shame im not nervous yet but thinking about what foods im going to eat. My aunt told me that the hospital im going to has the best hospital food here in the city where i stay.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User

Hi Sweetest,
When are you going in to deliver? Are you being induced? Maybe I missed it in another post. I was part of the September mommies threads (sadly, it ended at 7 weeks--I'm now a Feb. mommy!), so I remember most of you, and I'm so happy that you all are so close to having your little ones.
Anyway, you may not feel like eating after you deliver for some time (and you probably won't even think about it, with the baby being there, and everything else going on). But if you have a smooth delivery, you may be ravenous shortly after! I delivered my ds at 9:13pm and it took a long time for me to get back to my room because I had a very bad episiotomy and was being stitched up for quite some time, plus all the other stuff they do after delivery with the baby, etc.. By the time I got to my room it was about 1am and I asked dh to go get me McDonalds, which I had been craving for a few days (minus during labor)! So he did, and I ate around 2am. They didn't say when I could or couldn't, but they knew I was going to eat, and they didn't say it was a problem. So, if you ask whenever you feel hungry after delivery, they should allow you to eat.

Whiskers
Our newest bundle, Brody Anderson! - February 09'

Old 09-06-2008, 10:49 AM   #5
(female)

DesperationGirl HB User

It really depends on where you deliver, I think. I ate probably fifteen minutes after my son got here. I was starving! I was induced, delivered at a hospital, and I was hyped up on all sorts of meds but... I was absolutely famished. And the nurses let me eat as soon as I was cleaned up and checked out and my son was cleaned up and checked out. It's rather terrible, but as soon as I knew he was okay, I was just wondering where the heck I could get some KFC.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:57 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sg1112 HB User

your probably in the hospital right now maybe hes even out already. i hope you get to have your fried chicken soon. my dads the head of food service at the hospital so ima be eatin real good when im in there.

Old 09-06-2008, 01:22 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

magster04 HB User

Hi there, My only advice is dont eat too much at one time right away, eat a small amount then pig out!! My sister ate a lot right after delivering and ended up losing it all. I also got sick after delivery, I think it was probably the epidural but am glad anyway I hadn't already eaten a lot. I know everyone is different though so you'll have to see what works for you!

Old 09-07-2008, 05:15 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

km7503 HB User

It also depends on if you end up having a c-section. I didn't expect to have one when I was induced but I never ended up dialating past 3cm. So, anyway, they put you on a strict liquid only diet for about 24 hours after delivery. It consists of jello, juice, etc. Then, after some time, you can eat lightly if you're feeling up to it. I was VERY sick after my c, so it really depends. Good luck!

Old 09-07-2008, 10:22 AM   #9
Veteran

Mod08 HB UserMod08 HB UserMod08 HB User

Out of all the threads I read, this one made me chuckle. Sorry I could not resist.

Mod08

Old 09-07-2008, 08:04 PM   #10
(female)

madera74 HB User

I just had my labor & delivery class yesterday, and the instructor said that after the baby is born they move us to another room and we can get a tray of food right away. While you can't eat during labor (just because of the off chance you might need a c-section/anesthesia), she said that they will give you as many liquids (water, juice) as you want and they count jello as a liquid too.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:25 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User

I went into labor at 2 a.m. and didn't have my daughter until 7:21 p.m. After all was said and done I sent my mom to McDonald's because I was starved. Probably not the healthiest choice but I was so hungry I couldn't help it. I felt good enough to eat for sure. And I even remember after that, each meal that they brought to my room during my stay, I would just scarf it down. And I mean, we are talking about hospital food....not really gourmet. But I was just soooo hungry the entire time. Labor takes a lot of energy out of you!

Closed Thread