It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2008, 03:25 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User
What is considered "normal" weight at birth these days?

I had a Biophysical Profile done today for the first time. I am 37 weeks tomorrow and my daughter has a single umbilical artery. The test went really well and I, well I guess the baby, passed with flying colors. Her breathing is really good, which gives me some piece of mind, and her heart rate is normal, fluid is good, etc. All looked fine. My question is that at my last ultrasound they estimated her weight to be 4 pounds 8 ounces...this was at 34 1/2 weeks. The reason they did that ultrasound is because I was measuring two weeks behind what I was supposed to be. Anyhow, they weren't concerned, just said she was a little small. Well today at the Biophysical Profile, the tech estimated her weight to be 5 pounds 11 ounces, which I thought was pretty good since it's only been about 2 weeks since the last ultrasound. She said though that the baby will still be on the small side when she is born. She said that at this point babies usually gain about 1/2 a pound a week. I am thinking if I make it three more weeks to my due date, that would be another pound and a half, which would put her close to the 7 pound mark....maybe a little under. Why do they consider that to be small? My first daughter weighed 6 pounds 11 ounces when she was born and while she wasn't huge, I didn't feel like she was too small. I am just curious what they base this "normal weight" on?

Last edited by Delia79; 09-08-2008 at 03:27 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2008, 03:44 PM   #2
(female)

crossingXline HB User
Re: What is considered "normal" weight at birth these days?

Most doctors and people in general consider normal birth weight to be between 7-8 1/2lbs. All of the babies in my family were a little over 7lbs or under usually in the 6lb range. They base this on normal but you also have to look at yourself and the father and this is part of the size of your baby. Anything under 5.5lbs is considered to be "too small" so as long as your baby covers that and her breathing is strong you have nothing to worry about =) They're concerned with lung production and fat storage. Like you said you've got a couple weeks to go you should be just fine. Not everyone fits into the "normal range".

Old 09-08-2008, 09:05 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tami52100 HB User

Delia they told me anything under 7lbs was low birth weight Cody was 7lbs even so I'm not really worried about what they consider low birth weight as long as she is healthy and doing good is all I am worried about. I was a big baby 9lbs 8oz Dh was small alittle over 6lbs.
If I go for another u/s and Ava is 5lbs 11oz and doing as good as they say your DD is I would be jumping up and down (if I could) I would be so happy with that. So I wouldn't stress over it Like we both said in the beginning when we found out about the SUA and We can deal with what they consider low birth weight babies just as long as they are healthy.
our angel 2/16/05
10/16/08..... AVA GRACE
Maybe TTC #3 if it's ment to be ok if not ok not stressing this time. :-)

Old 09-09-2008, 04:43 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User

Thanks ladies! Yeah I was really pleased with the outcome of the test. It makes me feel like everything will be ok once she gets here. I guess sometimes they just make you feel like you are doing something wrong when they say, oh well she'll probably be on the small side. I am sorry if I can't have an 8 pound baby. I've gained 25 pounds which is in the range that I should be gaining and I've done what I am supposed to. I guess I am just not meant to have bigger babies. I am just glad she seems to be healthy!

Old 09-09-2008, 11:03 PM   #5
(female)

tam777 HB User

from 3 kg to 4 kg is a perfect healthy weight

Closed Thread