It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2008, 01:25 PM   #1
(female)

Green Frog HB User
What to do for cold symptoms

Hi all! I am miserable! I caught a cold that started coming on last week and now I am just miserable. I hate to take anything while pregnant - I know my doc said that some medicines are okay - but I just hate to, especially since I am still in the first trimester. Any thoughts for natural remedies to feel better? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

TryN2BMommy HB User
Re: What to do for cold symptoms

Lots of fluids & lots of rest...& don't forget the chicken noodle soup! I hope you feel better soon!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2008, 09:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User

I know a lot of people say that it's all in your head, but taking lots of Vitamin C always seems to do the trick for me! I'm not 100% sure on this, but I believe if you take too much, what you don't need is peed out. But you might want to double check on the dosage, just in case.
It's natural, and good for you, so it can't hurt to try! Feel better!

Whiskers
Our newest bundle, Brody Anderson! - February 09'

Old 09-10-2008, 06:59 AM   #4
(female)

courtenaynt HB User

Ugh, I know, I just had one. I still do--these things linger when you're pregnant. I drank juice and water and tried to rest, and Tylenol for my sore throat and fever...my doctor told me I could take Mucinex which I usually love but just didn't want to take, but you could if your doctor also says it's okay.

Hope you feel better soon. I feel your pain!

Old 09-10-2008, 11:03 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari15 HB User

If you have nasal congestion, I have three words for you... breathe right strips!!!!! I have struggled with congestion since my 6th week (still having that issue here at 20 weeks). My dr recently recommended breathe right strips and I thought it'd be a joke... and it does look kinda funny with a bandaid looking thing on your nose, but they work wonders for me! I couldn't believe it... I seriously wish I could buy these things in bulk!

Hope you start to feel better real soon!

Old 09-10-2008, 11:57 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

TryN2BMommy HB User

Quote:
I know a lot of people say that it's all in your head, but taking lots of Vitamin C always seems to do the trick for me! I'm not 100% sure on this, but I believe if you take too much, what you don't need is peed out. But you might want to double check on the dosage, just in case.
It's natural, and good for you, so it can't hurt to try! Feel better!
Check with your dr before taking extra vitamin C. I used to take extra vitaimn c every time I got sick before I got pregnant, but I seem to remember reading in one of my pregnancy books that you should not take extra vitamin c if you are pregnant. Just thought I would mention that...

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Last edited by TryN2BMommy; 09-10-2008 at 11:58 AM.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:27 PM   #7
(female)

Green Frog HB User

Thanks for the support ladies. I finally broke down and took some Tylenol for my fever last night. I finally convinced myself to leave work early yesterday and stay home today (and I don't have to go to work tomorrow) so I should be feeling better soon...I hope. I never even thought about the breathe right strips; I will see if DH can pick some up from the store tonight on his way home - Thanks again!

Old 09-10-2008, 04:51 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User

With my last pregnancy, I was extremely congested for a long time (I don't know how long exactly, but it felt like an entire trimester--not sure which one, either!). I bought the strips (which in my opinion were pricey to begin with), and they did absolutely nothing for me! I tried them for a couple nights, but nothing. So there they sit in my medicine cabinet, unused. Although I'm sure that they work just fine for others, so it might be worth trying. I would recommend just elevating your head and shoulders though (with a few pillows), until it clears enough to breathe easier, and save the money! That works better for me.

Whiskers
Our newest bundle, Brody Anderson! - February 09'

Closed Thread