It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2008, 10:58 AM   #1
(female)

lamby248 HB User
Sleeping on your side...

This is my third pregnancy. I remember reading and being told to lay on my left side only, not lay on my right side or back because of the blood vessels or artery that could cut off oxygen and blood to the placenta.

This time I have only been told to sleep on my side.. and when I read anything about it, I only see on the side, not which side. I AM more comfortable on my left side most of the time, but let's face it, sleeping only on one side gets a little old and boring. LOL

Then I start feeling guilty because what if I am cutting off oxygen to the baby??? I don't want that to happen..

With my other two, I always had books to look up stuff like this in, but this
time around, I don't have the books anymore.

Does anyone know for sure??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2008, 11:31 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

teach79 HB User
Re: Sleeping on your side...

Lamby-I think you can sleep on either side, but the left is best. My OB said that if you start cutting off the blood supply, then your own heartbeat will begin racing trying to make up for it! You may also feel nauseas and dizzy. So, you can sleep on either, but just watch for the warning signs!! I try to sleep mostly on my left, but I do sleep some on my right. You are right, it is really hard to only sleep on one side!!! Good Luck!
Teach

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2008, 11:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

TryN2BMommy HB User

Teach is right. You can sleep on either side, but left is best. You only need to avoid sleeping on your back. Sleeping on just your left side every night would get very boring!!

Old 09-11-2008, 01:38 PM   #4
(female)

eloise_girl24 HB User

Sleeping on either side is just fine. When you sleep on your left side, it allows for more oxygen to reach the baby but sleeping on your right side does not hurt the baby at all. They just dont want you to sleep on your stomach (for obvious reasons) or sleep on your back (it cuts off oxygen and flattens everything down). Sleeping on either side is just fine.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:51 PM   #5
(female)

lamby248 HB User

Good, thanks for all the replies. I am glad to be able to sleep on either side now!

Old 09-12-2008, 05:51 AM   #6
(female)

mellie65 HB User

Is this from the beginning of the pregnancy or just as you get bigger?

Old 09-12-2008, 06:35 AM   #7
(female)

senoritabenitez HB User

I am only 5wk 4d but I already sleep on my left side. I find I don't have to wake up and pee in the middle of the night as often (i'm sure that'll change tho!) Also before I knew I was pregnant I had breast tenderness really bad and couldn't tolerate sleeping on my belly any longer. so I guess it would depend on your sleeping habits how soon you sleep on your side.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:40 AM   #8
(female)

going2thebeach1 HB User

I will be 39 weeks on Monday and to be honest, really hadn't given "sleep positions" much thought throughout this pregnancy. Then I read this thread and last night I was up for hours worrying. There have been many times that I have slept on my back. Mostly I roll into that position in the middle of the night and don't even realize it. I've been so uncomfortable in the last few months and sleeping on my back actually allowed me to sleep. Now I'm scared that I did damage or something . . . . . I read on a few websites that if you indeed cut off blood or oxygen to the baby you'll feel lightheaded and nauseous yourself. Has anyone else heard this?

Old 09-12-2008, 10:15 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

TryN2BMommy HB User

Mellie, the sleeping positions are recommended once you reach the 4 month mark, not so much early on in pregnancy.

Beach1, don't worry! I often wake up on my back too - I guess I roll over in my sleep - & when I do wake up that way, I just roll back over to my side & try to go back to sleep. Everything I have read says it's not a problem if you wake up on your back, just try not to sleep that way all the time. I have also read that if you do cut off the baby's oxygen supply, you will feel lightheaded or dizzy - so if you haven't woken up feeling that way, then I'm sure you haven't done any damage. Just try to sleep on your side from now on.

Old 09-13-2008, 05:35 AM   #10
(female)

dolphin27 HB User

I was advised from my doctor, that you should stop sleeping no the stomach once it becomes even slightly uncomfortable. Stop laying on the back at 20 weeks. I was also told that laying on the left side helps to keep our blood pressure down, while sleeping on the right side has no affects to the baby, if you have higher blood pressure it is adviced to not sleep on it much.
Also if you are a tosser like me, don't worry if you wake up laying on your back, you probably woke up because your body was telling you something was wrong, just simply adjust to either side. I know sleeping can be such a worry, just start out on your side and try not to worry about it too much. Worry only leads to stress and stress is never good.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:42 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

Left is best only because then you aren't putting pressure on your liver. But either side is fine. Maybe it's all in my head, but I can actually feel when I'm lying too flat (instead of inclined) -- I start to feel a little odd... can't really explain it.

If fact, they say that if you ever start to not feel well or think that you are having braxton hicks (or even real contractions) to drink a few glasses of water and to lie down on your left side.

In my first pregancy I found that stacking a pillow or two behind me helped me to not roll onto my back completely at night. When the hips start hurting though, I remember wanting to do anything I could to alleviate it. So, I'd lie with my pillows behind me and in a sort of 45 degree angle position -- not completely flat but also without so much pressure on my hips. Of course, this before I'd give up completely and hit the couch and prop myself up in an almost seated position with the couch cushions... lol!

Closed Thread