It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2008, 08:55 AM   #1
(female)

jlavender HB User
severe morning sickness

Hello my niece is 16 yrs old and she is 4 months pregnant. Her doctor has given your Zofran to take, and it is not working. She is vomiting still and I want to know is the harmful to the baby? What are some other things that might help? When I was pregnant with my son I too was haveing this and he was born 3 months premature.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tami52100 HB User
Re: severe morning sickness

I was like that I was giving Zophan but it didn't help either I was still put in the hospital several times for dehydrations so make sure she is drinking tons of water,powerade something just not cokes (like me) they don't help. If she is cramping or anything and looking dehydrated take her to the ER being dehydrated can cause a M/C is what I was told. Being pregnant it don't take much to get bad fast it took me a day to get bad and a week in the hospital with 8 bags of fluids 2 bags of vitiamins before I was finally able to come home. The nurse in the hospital told me that if you are already sick don't drink lots of water drink other stuff sprite something like that she said that the water makes you sicker and believe it or not she was telling the trueth.
My dr told me to drink lots of water and that is what I was doing and was and was getting sick time it hit my stomach when I got to the hospital I was in bad shape the nurse asked me what I was drinking and when I told her water that is when she told me how bad it was and give me a sprite and told me to sip it and I didn't get sick the first time with it and finally was able to keep something down for the first time in days. So they was giving me packs of crackers to eat with the sprite I did get sick some but nothing like before.
Also Ginger snaps help I didn't like them but I didn't like the hospital more.
our angel 2/16/05
10/16/08..... AVA GRACE
Maybe TTC #3 if it's ment to be ok if not ok not stressing this time. :-)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2008, 01:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User
Re: severe morning sickness

Hi there,
I'm so sorry to hear that your niece is having to go through such a rough time! I know there are a few women on this board who had TERRIBLE m/s, and had to be hospitalized due to dehydration, and I'm not one of them.
I have heard however, that anything with ginger in it (tea, ginger snaps, there are even pregnancy lollipops that you can get to help with m/s, and I believe ginger is one of the ingredients) can help for some people, so it's probably worth a try. It didn't help me with my nausea, but everyone's different. I also agree with Tami to try to make sure she has something to drink (not necessarily water), ALL the time. If she sips on something all day long, she's much less likely to become dehydrated, than if she waits to feel thirsty, and gulps down a glass of water (which will probably end up coming back up).
And I also agree to just tell her to really be aware of how she's feeling--if she feels dehydrated (dry mouth, not peeing much), she should go to the hospital to be checked out for sure. And try to make sure she takes those prenatals! When she's not likely to get vitamins and minerals from other sources if she's so sick, she needs them more than a lot of pregnant women at this time.

Whiskers
Our newest bundle, Brody Anderson! - February 09'

Closed Thread