It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2008, 01:17 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User
Breast shells

Hi everyone,

Has anybody worn breast shells (to draw out flat or inverted nipples) during pregnancy before? I REALLY want to bf this baby (as I ended up exclusively pumping and feeding for a year with ds, and I don't want to do that again!), but he had a lot of trouble latching on in the beginning, and I believe it was partially due to my nipples being somewhat flat (not completely, but not as prominent as they should be, I believe). I'm just wondering what other's experiences are. Thanks!

Whiskers
Our newest bundle, Brody Anderson! - February 09'

Old 09-15-2008, 08:10 AM   #2
(female)

Blondie527 HB User
Re: Breast shells

Hi again Whiskers! I had this same problem with DS. I was only able to pump for 6 weeks as my supply just kept dwindling down. Flat nipples was definitely part of the problem along with an emergency c-section that did not allow my son to latch on for awhile as he was in the NICU.
I am thinking about wearing the breast shells during the end of my pregnancy as well. My son just would not latch on. I used those nipple guards to help him recognize the nipple better. I think that they helped a little too.
Good luck!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2008, 04:55 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User
Re: Breast shells

Hi Blondie,
Thanks for the reply!
I used the nipple shield while I bf'd my son for about 3 weeks after he was born. And it worked, however it was a pain in the you-know-what to have to get it out every time he wanted to eat, and at that point, he really had trouble even learning to latch on without it, because he was used to eating with it. I'm sure had I contacted a lactation consultant, I probably could've solved the problem, but I didn't think pumping and feeding would take so much out of me!
I also think it caused him to get less at a time, and therefore he'd take forever to eat. It wasn't unusual for him to be on the breast for 2 hours at a time, and then only have an hour or so inbetween, before he was hungry again. So, I think that may've been related to the shield.
I'm a big believer that breast milk is best for baby, so I'm willing to do just about anything it takes to get this baby breast milk this time around! If it comes down to it I'll pump, but I'm REALLY hoping these shells offer some assistance!

Whiskers
Our newest bundle, Brody Anderson! - February 09'

Closed Thread