It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2008, 11:21 AM   #1
(female)

lamby248 HB User
High Cholesterol Level During Pregnancy

Does anyone know anything about how having high cholesterol while pregnant effects you or the baby?

I had a health screening today and my cholesterol was 238... very high. The nurse did say that it could be because I am pregnant. I have done a couple searches online but can't find any real information on it.

I was tested last year and it was high but not that high.. around 205. I have been exercising everyday, run 5-6 days a week, plus I eat fairly healthful foods. I'd say 90% of the time it is healthy...the other 10% is stuff that isn't as healthy. I don't necessarily turn junk food away all the time, but I certainly don't indulge in it on a regular basis either.

Hopefully, it will go down once I have the baby.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User
Re: High Cholesterol Level During Pregnancy

Every pregnancy guide I've ever read has said to NOT get your cholesterol checked during pregnancy because it's just a waste of time and money because the numbers are inaccurate.

While 205 isn't awful, it's not great, either. That's about what my husband's was, and he couldn't get the best rate on his life insurance last year. He started drinking those yogurt "shots" with plant sterols in it every day, without changing anything else in his diet, and his cholesterol dropped about 15 points. They are a tad expensive (just under a $1 each) but cheaper and better for you than a drug! And since they are just yogurt, should be fine in pregnancy. You might want to give it a "shot" -- ha ha ha.

I would wait until after you've had the baby and are several months out before checking your cholesterol levels again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2008, 09:56 AM   #3
(female)

lamby248 HB User

Just to clarify, it was 238 yesterday. that's a pretty big jump from last year. I also had eaten a banana about an h our before. Do you think that might have offset the number a bit?

How long did it take your dh drinking the "shots" before he saw a drop in his number?

I've tried them once or twice, but I guess I didn't drink one everyday since they are so expensive.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:14 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

TryN2BMommy HB User

Eating anything before the test could mess up the results. You're supposed to fast for 10 to 12 hours before having your cholesterol level checked...which can be pretty difficult during pregnancy! I would just try to eat as healthy as possible (I like the sound of those yogurt shots too) & try not to worry about it while you are pregnant. I'll bet your numbers were skewed.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:42 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

He drank those yogurts for about 2 or 3 months every day before he was retested. I've also heard that eating oatmeal every day helps, too.

In the grand scheme of things, they aren't that expensive... If you buy 2 four packs every week for $6-7 and compare that with going to one fast food joint for lunch, you can see that by cutting out the lunch you can afford the yogurts. Plus, cutting out fast food is good for your cholesterol anyway! LOL

Good luck

Old 09-17-2008, 01:02 PM   #6
(female)

lamby248 HB User

I don't eat any fast food... with the exception of Subway, and I haven't even eaten there in a few months. When I say I eat some junk food, I meant things like chips, oreos, stuff you get in the store and in all honesty, I would say out of a months time, I probably eat chips or cookies once a month, twice at the most.

I will check out the yogurts next time I go to the store. I do eat oatmeal every morning now that it is getting cooler....maybe for the last 2-3 weeks. I also eat cheerios when not oatmeal.

That is kind of why it blows my mind. I hope that it isn't genetics. I don't know of people in my family having cholesterol problems, but maybe no one was ever tested.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:03 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

You do know that you're not supposed to eat lunch meat while pregnant, unless it's heated to steaming, right? There is a risk of listeriosis, which can be harmful to the baby. So, I hope you're eating the Subway meatball sub!

Old 09-18-2008, 07:04 AM   #8
(female)

lamby248 HB User

Yes, I am aware of the risk of eating raw deli meat.

I eat the chicken breast sub, so no worries there. Like I said, I don't eat fast food, except Subway and it has been quite a while that I did.

Closed Thread