It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2008, 06:53 AM   #1
(female)

kellie12898 HB User
amneosintesis

at what week in pregnancy do you get this done, and explain how it is done!

Old 09-17-2008, 10:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User
Re: amneosintesis

Amnio is done between 16-18 weeks, which allows then for the two weeks of analysis that is done later. If, for some reason, you decide to not continue the pregnancy than you can do so before 20 weeks.

I had one with my first child and I'm having another one tomorrow since I'm 16 weeks with my second child.

As for an explanation, I would do a search on this board... I knowthat I've posted it before, as have others.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2008, 11:22 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

hotmama08 HB User
Re: amneosintesis

I had an amniocentesis done exactly 15 weeks because my first trimester screen showed high risk for downs.

The doctor who did my test is the head of the department so I was more relieved. It was very quick, less than 30 seconds. I felt a sharp pain on my skin and then just cramps as he push the needle all the way to my uterus and the amniotic fluid. I tried to focus at the ultrasound screen all the time to make sure he doesnt poke my precious baby and keep my mind away from the doctor doing the procedure.

The doctor took about 30ml of amniotic fluid and we asked to have the FISH test (Additional fee $200) ( Fluorescence in-situ hybridization) so we can get the major test results right away in 1-2 days rather than waiting for 2 weeks. My test came back negative for any chromosomal problems and we were able to find the sex of our baby sooner since they do the sex chromosomes as well even if you can not see anything on the ultrasound yet Thanks God! It was a relief. I was worried sick, crying the whole time before the test.

After the test, you will anticipate mild cramps and can take tylenol only. Better if you can take a 2 days off to relax and not lift any heavy objects, no sexual activity, no aspirin or ibuprofen and to watch for fever, severe cramps, amniotic leak and bleeding.

It wasnt that painful at all. Just go to a high risk maternity clinic who does this kind of procedure a lot and they know what they are doing. Goodluck!

Closed Thread