It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2008, 01:50 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Amy 333 HB User
2nd time moms

I am 17 weeks preg with baby#2. ds is only 7 months old and weighs appro 22 lbs/10 kgsis it ok for me to carry him. I just don t seem to know my limits anymore. I mean how can i not carry him when he bumps his head and so on. i do carry him least possible though at times its essential...getting him in and out of the car seat etc.

I work full time and do most of the house work etc....i was also dealing with severe morn sickness. I try to take it easy but some things just have to be done and unfortunetly we just don t have much help.

I think i feel guilty that Ds might have been born prematurely because we had just moved house a few weeks before.and i am petrified that the same thing may happen.

I know that there are quite a few of you in the same position would like to know how you deal with such things

Amy

Last edited by Amy 333; 09-19-2008 at 01:51 AM.

Old 09-19-2008, 03:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

youneeak HB User
Re: 2nd time moms

Hi there!

Good luck with baby #2! I just found out that I am p/g with #2. DD is 14 months old (will be almost 2 when this one comes home). I'm already nervous!

I don't have an answer to any of your questions. But I think he's your son, so obviously you are going to carry him/pick him up, etc. I know what you mean about "not knowing your limits." I was the same way with p/g#1 and I'm sure I will be that way with this one. We moved 4 weeks before DD was born and when I think about all the things I moved that I shouldn't have I feel very blesed that nothing happened! It's hard for people who are "doers" to sit back and relax (even when it's the best thing for them). I don't know about you, but I'm very stubborn, and I don't like to ask for help (and like you said, sometimes there's no help to ask...).

I would say try to take everything in moderation, and if you're feeling extra tired or stressed take a day off...the laundry and dishes can wait. Think about yourself and your baby first..I know it's sometimes hard to think about yourself first (especially with a 7 month old!) but sometimes you need some TLC too.

Good luck with this pregnancy and I will be praying that no preterm labor this time!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2008, 04:57 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User

I am 38 weeks and 4 days pregnant with #2 (THOSE 4 DAYS ARE REALLY IMPORTANT TO ME, CAN'T YOU TELL???) Anyway, I know what you mean. My DD is 14 months also and I haven't been able to give up much of the work involved during my pregnancy either. Although DH is a tremendous help, there are some things that I would just prefer to do myself. Like giving DD a bath. DH CAN do it, but I like the way I do it better, even though at this point it is wreaking havoc on my body!!! I just try to keep from over doing it too much and relax when possible. And DH does help when I let him. For instance, when giving her a bath, he puts her in and gets her out. I probably could but don't want to try at this point. It's hard to stop doing the things that you are used to doing on a daily basis after you've gotten into a routine. I think you know your limits and if you start to feel tired or like you are doing too much, just back off a little. Oh and as far as carrying him around, I still do! She can walk, but of course I would need to hold her hand if outside etc. and it's harder at this point to bend over and try holding her hand as we walk than it is to just pick her up and carry her.

Good luck with your pregnancy. I am sure it will all turn out fine!

Old 09-19-2008, 07:23 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

blue_eyed_girl HB User

As long as your doctor hasn't put you on any weight restrictions, you should be fine. I have a three year old I have to lug around every once in a while. Now, once you get farther along, that is a different story.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:32 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User

Hi Amy,
My ds is now 16 mo and weighs about 24lbs. I'm 20 weeks today, and I still carry him around all the time. I'm feeling pretty good physically so far this pregnancy, so that could be why I have really no worries in doing so. Try to really pay attention to your body though. If you feel like you're too tired, or that one day he's just so much heavier than he was the day before (that happens to me quite a bit actually, I think it depends on my energy level), then take it easy. And since you've been having issues with dehydration this pregnancy, you might want to make sure your doctor is ok with how much you carry him around, but it's not like there are too many other alternatives!

Whiskers
Our newest bundle, Brody Anderson! - February 09'

Old 09-20-2008, 12:55 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

Obviously at 7 months your son is going to need alot of assistance, unlike my 26# DD at 22 months old. She's able to walk most of the time by herself.

The only time I've been put on lifting restriction (so far, at 17 weeks) is when I had my amnio last week -- no lifting for 2 days.

I just try to be smart about it -- I don't carry her around as much anymore. I just lift her onto the changing table, into the carseat, into the high chair, etc.

If you have to carry your little one for along ways, you might consider getting a framed backpack carrier. Our daughter loved ours when she was 6-15 months. She could see everything, but the weight was evenly distributed across my hips and back, making it easier to manage.

Closed Thread