It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2008, 12:00 PM   #1
(female)

crossingXline HB User
Antibiotics, how much is too much?

It seems like through half my pregnancy I've been on antibiotics for a UTI or infection or cold. I've had a terrible cold and now very congested cough for over a week now and my doctor is putting me back on antibiotics. I understand they're pregnancy safe but could too much be harmful to the baby. I know she wouldn't give me something to hurt the baby it just makes me wonder. I know antibiotics kill the good and bad bacteria until the infection is gone.

Old 09-24-2008, 01:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User
Re: Antibiotics, how much is too much?

There are many natural antibiotics that are selective that kill only the bad bacteria that you can buy from the store. I add various essential oils to my baths because many have antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal properties, etc. (the skin will absorb the oil where it will eventually go into the bloodstream and fight the infection.) Taking a drug never fixes the root of the problem, so you have to ask yourself WHY are you getting a cold? A UTI infection? The American diet consist of mostly highly processed genetically engineered foods that are loaded with chemicals from preservatives, dyes, wax, etc. You need to evaluate your intake and ensure that you are getting the proper vitamins and minerals you need these because they are the tools our bodies need to fight infections. If they are not provided for the body, it may be too weak to fight off a cold. Taking antibiotic drugs on top of that leaves the body even more vulnerable because you are still depositing more chemicals into the body and then you are killing all bacteria. Start taking or drinking probiotics to promote the regrowth of good bacteria. It comes in a thick drinkable form in the yogurt section of the grocery store too. Often a UTI can be caused from a poor diet. If you are interested in natural antibiotics go to your local health food store and ask. One that I use is Grapefruit Seed Extract. It is a thick oil that you need to dilute in water and you can drink it. I cured a tooth infection from a wisdom tooth coming in, in a few days with this and I threw away the antibiotic prescription my dentist gave me. I also clean my toothbrush with this, it is a recommended use. There are other options if you are concerned, but you will have to look elsewhere because doctors only prescribe drugs and don't usually tell you about these other cheaper options. Best of luck to you!

Do a search on how to boost your immune system naturally, you will find great tips. Try adding fresh lemon to your water everyday too!

Last edited by AlexaIn2006; 09-24-2008 at 01:28 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2008, 07:17 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

Well, your body is naturally immuno-suppressed during pregnancy since your baby is basically a great big ALIEN to the rest of your body. Your body is struggling between trying to feed and sustain it and trying to kill it. Kinda freaky, huh?

So, it's not surprising that you're coming up with an increase of infections during pregnancy. Trust your doctor... double check the FDA pregnancy category of all drugs you take... eat healthy... take your vitamins...

In general, your ob is worried about your health, as well as the baby's. But your's has to come first, because without you there is no place for the baby. Sometimes that means docs have to make decisions that might seem contrary to common sense... but you can't let an infection fester since it might spread and become systemic and could cause severe illness.

I hope you're feeling better soon.

Last edited by Mod08; 09-26-2008 at 04:34 PM. Reason: not necessary

Old 09-26-2008, 11:21 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sg1112 HB User

i took macrobid twice, flagyl, and azithromycin while i was pregnant and my little boy is perfect. the risk of the infection harming the baby is much greater then the antibiotic.

Closed Thread