It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2008, 02:33 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

April7 HB User
When did you start to show?

Just wondering when you ladies started to show for the first time (if you've been pregnant before or are further along now)? I know every pregnancy is different but I'm curious.

At 6 weeks with a small frame I look like I suddenly have a pot belly. Just a small one, but my soon to be DH notices it, my BFF notices it and my boss notices it. So I know it can't be in my head! But, if I eat a big meal I'm bloated and you can see it. My mom is the same way. I suspect it will be obvious pretty early on for me. But maybe not. Time will tell!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2008, 02:47 PM   #2
(female)

eloise_girl24 HB User
Re: When did you start to show?

It all depends on your frame, your orginial weight, if this is your first child, how in shape you were when you got pregnant, etc. if this is your first child, you usually show later in the pregnancy bc by the second and third times your body knows what to do and starts reacting sooner. if you are underweight you will show sooner only bc there arent many places for the baby to go except out if you are overweight, you may show later. if you are shorter, you will show sooner bc like being underweight there aren't many places for the baby to go. if you are taller, you'll show later. if you were super in shape, you'll show later only because your stomach muscles were tighter. if you were (like me) out of shape, you'll show sooner because your stomach muscles are weaker.

all that being said i am 5'3, was about 115 before i got pregnant. (not overweight or underweight) but i was out of shape. almost right way i started "showing". my doctor said it was bloat. some days i was bigger than other days. also, in the morning i was smaller and by the end of the day i was much bigger.

i am 18.5 weeks now and am definitely showing now. my bloat went away around 13-14 weeks and i started getting a prounouced pooch that turned into the baby pouch. there is no denying it now that i am pregnant. but it all depends...another girl at work was almost 6 months before she told anyone and when she did i couldnt barely tell she was pregnant. it made me think something was wrong with me but EVERYONE'S different. youre bloat will definitely go down but just in time for the baby to pop up

REMOVED

Last edited by Mod08; 09-30-2008 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Do not post detailed instructions on how to search for information on the web.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2008, 04:18 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

April7 HB User

Well I'm short and underweight so I suspect I will show early on. It's interesting that you bloat so soon. Must be the hormones. It's psychologically cool though that in a small way I almost look pregnant. It makes it sink in more for me if that makes sense.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:21 PM   #4
(female)

DueNApril09 HB User

Hey April,

I have a very short and petite friend that started showing very early in her pregnancy and was HUGE by 6 months (ALL baby bump, tiny everywhere else!) As for me, I'm 12 weeks and I'm starting to show. I'm 5'8" 116lbs. As eloise said, I night I'm definitely bigger because of the bloating, but I'm noticing that when I wake up, there is definitely a visible baby bump. I will be so glad when my digestive system calms down and the bloating subsides!!! Ugh
Expecting baby #1 EDD April 20, 2009!

Last edited by DueNApril09; 09-30-2008 at 07:21 PM.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:25 AM   #5
(female)

eloise_girl24 HB User

I had a lot of bloating at the beginning as well. i remember going to dinner with my husband when i was about 8 weeks along (before we had told anyone) and our waiter asked when i was due. i was shocked. i did look pretty big though and it was all concintrated in my mid section. my husband was upset bc he was like some random waiter knows before our families do! i was afraid i wasnt going to be able to hide it. when we told my MIL that we were pregnant after she got done hysterically jumping around and bawling happy tears she said "well that explains your weight gain!" i was like thanks....way to be make not subconcious. i still have only gained about 13 pounds and im almost 19 weeks so it was all the bloat at the beginning.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:31 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

AliceT HB User

I'm a pretty average weight and just slightly taller than average...
First pregnancy I started to have a pot at about 16 weeks but it wasent obvious until about 20 weeks.
Second pregnancy I had a pot at about 10 weeks and showed at about 14 weeks
third pregnancy I had a pot at about 5 weeks and showed by 10.....
Those muscles just gave up LOL...

Old 10-01-2008, 10:35 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

I am 5'2" and I was 108 pounds when I found out I was pregnant, so 10-12 weeks, I had the smallest belly, but only I could tell because my stomach was completely flat before. I didn't start to really show until about 4 months, going into 5 months. The first person out in public that noticed was a bum begging for change downtown San Diego, lol. It seems like at the beginning you will never show and it does take a while which I found frusterating because I loved the pregnancy clothing and I couldn't wait to wear it.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:03 AM   #8
(female)

lamby248 HB User

This is my 3rd pregnancy, and I think I started showing pretty quickly. I am 5'6" and weighed about 125. Am in good shape and flat stomach. I think that people could tell, no one really said anything though, until I announced it when I was around 16 weeks. Then everyone would say, "That explains it!" or "I knew you were." When I asked how, they would say, because I was so skinny before and started gaining weight.

My MIL said she knew right away because I had a pouch on me at about 8 weeks. I thought my DH kept telling me that because we both knew. At the time, I had gained about 5-6 lbs..and I have gained 5-6 lbs before being pregnant, but no one thought I was, so being pregnant must put the weight in significant places.

I'm definitely showing now at almost 24 weeks. I have now just started wearing maternity clothes. It feels good to wear the clothes, but some are still way too big. I had a shirt on the other day and I felt like I had a tent on! I'm too big for regular clothes and not quite big enough for maternity clothes. LOL

Old 10-01-2008, 12:59 PM   #9
(female)

cincbcat HB User

This is #2 for me, and I'm 5'3 135lbs non-pregnant. With #1 I gained 40lbs total, half of which was before I was even out of the first trimester. This time has been very different. I am 26 weeks now and only in the last month have needed to wear maternity clothes...people kept asking if I was really sure I was pregnant. Two completely different pregnancies. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I have a 22 month old to run around after this time?!

Closed Thread