It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2008, 10:39 AM   #1
(female)

ashy88 HB User
mucus plug and getting membranes strip question

hey I haven't been on here for ages it seems.
For those of you who don't know I am having a baby girl, and her name is Olivia Honour.
I am due oct 16th, so I have 2 days to go.

Last tuesday I lost my mucus plug and ever since then I keep getting this stuff that looks like the mucus plug coming out still, is that normal?
I also had a small amount of blood the following day.
its been a week and I am still having the mucusy stuff coming out and at my last appointment last week I started to dialate to 1 cm.
She feels like she is pressing down really hard, like I have a small buldge in my pubic bone area.so I am wondering it that is her.

anyways, my doctore said he would strip my membranes the last day I am suppose to be there to see if it helps get things going if nothing has happened. My mother had it down with my little brother and within 10 hours she had him. I was just wondering how successful this is? does it really work? does it hurt? what exactly do they do?

Old 10-14-2008, 11:29 AM   #2
(female)

indiana333 HB User
Re: mucus plug and getting membranes strip question

I had bits of tissue for about a week but never actually 'lost' anything. I remember in the hospital though having gobs and gobs of mucus come out one time when I went to the bathroom and I was dialated to 4 at that time. So maybe that was the plug. After a week of the 'bits' I had my membranes stripped and it did 'hurt' but not as bad as an early contraction did. (for me) The doctor just said, 'I'm going to keep doing this until you can't take it anymore and tell me to stop, she got about 20 seconds of 'stripping' done and stopped on her own. I was 'in labor' within an hour and the boy was born the next afternoon (my first).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2008, 12:13 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

ittal HB User

You did lose your plug. The blood was from the dilation of the cervix.

I had my membranes stripped 3 times. It didn't work any of the times. I know many people who said that it actually did work. It's different for all people, but can't hurt to try.

Basically, what your OB will do is put their finger through your cervix, against the lining of the membrane and try to seperate it. The pain can vary, from the uncomfortability of a routine pap to making you want to hit the ceiling. In my memory, it hurt much worse the first time it was done than with subsequent pregnancies. If this is your first delivery, I have to say...sorry...it's probably going to hurt like nobody's business. The pain is very temporary though (intense pain, only while they're doing it, replaced by a crampy, achy pain for a few minutes which will subside).

Afterwards, you'll have some bleeding (should be very light, and pinkish in color). You'll also see some increased discharge, and have mild cramping for several hours. You may also have to pee a lot, and have some diarhreea. More than likely, you won't have all of these symptoms, but may experience some of them.

Last edited by ittal; 10-14-2008 at 12:14 PM.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:28 PM   #4
(female)

ashy88 HB User

thanks guys. Now I know what I need to look forward to..
Hopefully I will be able to handle it...I can't wait to meet Honour...I am just hoping that I don't have to wait another week.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:12 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User

Hi Ashy!

What a beautiful name you have for your daughter. Very original!
I agree that was probably your mucus plug. It is very normal for it to come out in pieces over several days. I remember losing the first "piece" of mine a few weeks before I actually started having painful contractions, but I continued to notice pieces of globby, mucus until the very end. The bleeding is normal, however it shouldn't be a lot--it should be more like spotting.
My ob did strip my membranes, and it didn't hurt at all (this was with my first baby), so try not to worry. I think it really depends on the doctor doing it, and on how long they do it for. My ob only did it for about 20 seconds, I would say, and although it did make me spot over the next day or 2 (which she said could happen), it didn't put me into labor. When she was doing it though, she said it really just depends on the person, and how ready YOUR body is for labor to happen, because she did it the day before for another of her patients, and that woman was in active labor at the hospital at that very moment! Which gave me a lot of hope, but unfortunately that's not what happened with me...
Good luck and let us know what happens!

Whiskers
Our newest bundle, Brody Anderson! - February 09'

Closed Thread