It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2008, 04:28 PM   #1
(female)

alaineOconnor HB User
Ultrasound Qs

OK, Now that I am warmed up I feel like I am peppering you guys with questions! I am wondering how many ultrasounds I can expect to have. I have had one already. It was my first - a transvaginal at 11 weeks. I have another one scheduled at 21 weeks where they said we can find out the sex. It just seems like a long time to wait. Since it still is too early to feel anything but nausea, I kind of want to be more reassured that everything is ok. This is my third pregnancy. I miscarried the first 2 times and now as hard as I try to stay relaxed, I feel that worry creeping in around the edges constantly. I have my monthly appt. in 2 weeks, but no ultrasound. Is it bad for the baby to have too many or do doctors not find it nessesary or should I just ask for one? Thanks a bunch ladies, You all have been so helpful!

Oh, wait, one more thing, How accurate are the doctors predictions on how far along I am? I am pretty positive that THE sex was two weeks after the doctor says it is. She went on the date of my last period. (She also said it looked about the size of 11 weeks at the ultrasound) I am going on the date of THE sex. Which one of us is right?

Thanks a bunch, you guys are the greatest!!

Old 10-16-2008, 04:44 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

ittal HB User
Re: Ultrasound Qs

Your due date will always be calculated on the first day of your last period. So, basically, you kind of get 2 "free" weeks of pregnancy - only for 38 of the 40 are you actually carrying around another person. :P Due dates aren't an exact science, though, so it could be off by +/- 3 weeks. If your doc says you're 11 weeks, it means that you're 11 weeks into the pregnancy - but that the baby has existed for 9 weeks.

If all goes well, your u/s at 21 weeks should be your last. If you have a 3D ultrasound place around, you can usually get a 3rd there, if your OB approves it, with all sorts of DVDs and pictures and stuff. You may also have another u/s when you deliver (it just depends on your doc).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2008, 04:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

TryN2BMommy HB User

I agree with everything the previous poster said. I just wanted to add that you will hear the baby's heartbeat on the doppler at each of your monthly appts. That should give you some reassurance until your next u/s. I know it is hard to wait.

Holly

Old 10-17-2008, 11:37 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

fruitloop1024 HB User

some drs will have another u/s at 28, or 36wks. I have has a lot since I am high risk, but my dr always does them between 6-9 wks (vaginally, to check placement and heartbeat), 20wks (to check on things, and determine sex), 28wks(extra check of the heart, kidneys, and lungs), and 36wks (to check size and to make sure the baby is not breached). I guess it just depends on the dr.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:08 PM   #5
(female)

lamby248 HB User

One way you can figure out your due date is go by the first day of your last period, count back 3 months and then forward 7 days. It has always been pretty accurate with my pregnancies.

As for the ultrasounds, if you have no problems, I think the ones you have had and are scheduled for are the ones you should be getting.

If you begin to have some problems, then they will most likely schedule more.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:33 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

I did have an extra u/s between the first one and the level 2 u/s -- but that was because the doppler couldn't get a good read on the hb enough to register, even though we could both hear it. So we popped over to the u/s room and did a quick u/s to check that the hb was ok.

But in general, most women only have 2. And most insurance will only pay for 2 unless there is some medical reason to need more.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:57 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

I just want you to be aware that there are dangers associated with ultrasounds. I has several and no one ever uttered a word about any dangers and this was before I learned to self educate myself. I wrote about this before on here, but basically the ultrasound produces high frequency waves. It is always to be aware and exercise your own judgement because most of the time, no one will tell about what the experience is like for the baby inside you or the dangers.

Closed Thread