It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2008, 11:31 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User
Migraines after giving birth...

I had my second DD almost 6 weeks ago. Ever since having her I've suffered horribly with migraines. I finally broke down and got a prescription for Imitrex which takes them right away, but I filled the prescription on 10/11 and was given 9 pills at that time. I only have two pills left and it's only 10/31!!! This is ridiculous. Has anyone else had this issue? I used to get migraines for years and then after DH and I got married, I decided to stop taking birth control because I wasn't too concerned about "not" getting pregnant and thought I'd just let happen what happened. Anyway, as soon as I stopped the birth control I never got another migraine. I knew they were always hormone related and am assuming that is what is causing them now after just having a baby and everything. I am worried though because I know that when I go for my six week check up next Tuesday that I am going to have to choose some form of birth control. I am extremely afraid of using anything with hormones because I know my migraines will just get worse. Does anyone know of other options that don't involve messing with your hormones? I don't think I can live with headaches like this all of the time, but I also don't want to live on medicine on a daily basis. I feel like there is no good option!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2008, 01:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User
Re: I am guessing this goes here???

I am assumung you had an epidural. They often will create horrible migraines, it is a side effect and a risk you take when chosing this. You need to look into it. Taking medicine for the migraines are not a long term solution so you need to address to the root of the problem. They are called Post Dural Punture Headaches. What happens is the epidural puntures and the cerebrospinal fluid goes into the epidural space. You have need to have a blood patch to repair the hole to stop the leaking that creates the headaches. Go back to you doctor and talk about this as the cause of your problem instead of treating the symptoms which are the heachaches/migraines.

(I wrote this because you are not on birth control which used to cause your migraines, yet you are having them since you gave birth, right?)

Last edited by AlexaIn2006; 10-31-2008 at 01:55 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2008, 08:55 PM   #3
(female)

madera74 HB User
Re: I am guessing this goes here???

Hi Delia.. post epidural headaches can occur as Alexa explained, but from what I've read the incident rate is around 1%. Still something worth looking into if they persist. I had some killer migraines after delivering also (I had migraines before being pregnant also). I did have an epidural, but I did not start having these headaches until several weeks after giving birth, and even then they were not constant. I would have a headache for a day or two and then have a few days of feeling great, and then another headache, and so on. So I think these were most likely related to fluctuating hormone levels rather than having had an epidural. They eventually became less frequent and less severe. If you think birth control pills will exacerbate the problem, have you considered an IUD? The Para-gard IUD does not have hormones. Just an idea.. I hope you feel better soon!

Old 11-01-2008, 12:37 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User
Re: Migraines after giving birth...

Hi Delia ~ I too had the exact same problem, which is why I was not on birth control and how I became pregnant with Madeline. Any kind of hormone birth control made my head pound!!!

After Madeline was born, I knew I did NOT want to have any more babies for a while, so I decided on the ParaGard IUD. It's great because there are no side effects and it's 99.99% effective. Something to look into.

You may also want to talk to your family doctor about possibly taking a daily migraine preventative medication if you reach your breaking point. I take a medication called Topamax every night before I go to bed to prevent them. Of course it depends on your situation, so I'm not advertising medication.

If you say that you've been getting them for a while, then it seems doubtful that it's from your epidural or "residual" hormones. If I were you, I would make a call to the doctor. Good luck!

Old 11-02-2008, 12:59 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

megss HB User

Hi Delia!

I also don't think it is from your epidural. I had horrible headaches after having Grace from the epidural, but we are talking within the first week. Since it has been 6 weeks, I think you are right, and it is the hormones causing them. Did you have anything like this during your pregnancy or after your first DD was born?
The good news is that you know what causes them. My sister suffers from cluster headaches and migraines, and no one can figure out why. She is in the ER at least 20 times a year.
As far as BC options, there are always those good old condoms! That's about the extent of BC I am on right now! They aren't as reliable, but you could also use temping and timing to prevent pregnancy.
I hope you feel better soon. There is nothing worse than a severe headache when you have babies to take care of!

Old 11-03-2008, 06:15 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User

Yeah, these are definitely not being caused by the epidural. My best friend had that problem after her first delivery and I am 100% sure that is NOT what I am experiencing. I know it's hormone related. I started getting migraines right around the time that I first started my period (11 or 12 years old) and have had them off and on ever since. I know what they feel like so I know that is what I am experiencing now. I will ask my doctor about the IUD. DH is very leary of me having anything inserted in there and without going into too much detail, he is on medication for his heart that decreases blood flow to "certain" areas, and condoms just make that problem a whole lot worse....if you get my drift. I guess I have some things to consider. And Laura, I am going to ask about the Topomax. With all of them problems I've had over the years, you'd think they would've mentioned that option to me!

Old 11-03-2008, 08:11 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

Have you looked in to accupunture or seen someone or read about balancing out your hormones if you believe this is the problem. If you address this, you will not need to live on medication. If these are causing migraines I incourage you to to look into what the inbalance is. Also you can have hormone allergies which is why being on synthetic hormones or birth control can create these migraines and I don't blame you for wanting to avoid them.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:30 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User

Thanks Alexa. I do plan to look into the hormone issue because I am almost sure that has to be the problem. I don't see what else it could be. I went for my six week check up and the doctor agreed that I would not be a good candidate for birth control pills. The only other option he offered was an IUD which DH and I just aren't comfortable with. So we'll just have to go another route and hope that it works. I am going to make an appointment though and have the whole hormone thing checked into more. I am just tired of living with almost constant pain. The three years that I didn't have a migraine were like heaven!!! Thanks again for your advice!

Last edited by Delia79; 11-06-2008 at 07:31 AM.

Closed Thread