It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2009, 09:06 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User
Chances of a 2nd posterior baby, and induction?

Hi ladies,

I intend to research this as well, but I'd like to know if anybody else has any info on this!

A friend of mine has been induced with both of her 2 children. She's now in her 2nd trimester with her third baby, and her midwife told her of some exercises that she can do to try and encourage the baby to stay in the proper position (whatever "not posterior is"--sorry, I can't remember the correct terminology at the moment!). With her doing these exercises, she hopefully will avoid another induction, because the baby will be able to drop properly into the pelvis, and dilation will occur naturally (although she's not sure that her babies were posterior, but she thinks that could be the reason she had to be induced).

Anyway, she sent me to this website that the midwife told her about, knowing that I've had one previous induction, and I'm currently 40 weeks pregnant, and will be induced again on Friday the 13th, if I haven't had the baby on my own.

Looking over the website made me worry that it could be my body (the way my pelvis is shaped, or the condition of abdominal muscles amongst other possible reasons) that could be preventing my babies from dropping properly, and thus not allowing me to dilate on my own (I've currently been 1cm dilated for over a week, and with my last pregnancy, I only dilated to 2cm's over about a 3 week period, until about 2 hours before delivering ds--he ended up being delivered posterior, with forceps).

I guess I'm wondering if anybody has been induced once, and successfully gone on to labor and deliver a second baby on their own? Or had a posterior baby, and then had a second not be that way? I know everyone is different, I'm just looking for some encouraging experiences!

Thanks!

Whiskers
Our newest bundle, Brody Anderson! - February 09'

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2009, 10:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User
Re: Chances of a 2nd posterior baby, and induction?

Whiskers -- I've read about those exercises, too... not because I needed them, but just found it interesting. I'm sorry you are having to go through this.

But a bigger concern to me would be getting induced on Friday the 13th! Regardless of whether you're superstitious or not (and I'm not particularly), you've got to think twice about that!!! LOL

Old 02-06-2009, 01:52 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lol, thanks for the reply, Xine! Actually I couldn't be farther from being superstitious, but everyone I mention it to, says the same thing! Even my ob asked about that.... lol. DH and I actually got engaged on Friday the 13th, and it seems to be working out ok, so I'm not even going to entertain the idea of waiting any longer!

Whiskers

Old 02-06-2009, 02:15 PM   #4
(female)

kittenkaboodle HB User

Hi Whiskers!

Wow! I can't believe that your little one is almost here! That is so exciting and I can't wait to hear your story.

Anyways, I just wanted to let you know that my mother had two posterior babies/labors, but was only induced with one (me!).

According to her doctor, the odds of it happening twice were low, but it happened with both me and my brother. She was induced with me at 7 days late, and my brother came 2 days after her due date naturally.

So, I don't know if there's pattern, or medical evidence, but I just wanted to share her experience.

I'm thinking of you, and wish you nothing but the best of luck!
Kitten

Old 02-06-2009, 02:48 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh thank you so much, Kitten! It makes me feel much better to read about your mom's experience. I'm not even sure if this baby is posterior or not (however if I'm still pregnant on Wednesday, I will ask my ob), but I do wonder about it since I'm dilating and effacing very slowly again. Hopefully though this lo will decide to come on it's own. I'm more concerned about needing to be induced again, than I am about delivering another posterior baby (although I don't necessarily want to do that either!). But I have this idea in my head that maybe ds wouldn't of been that way, if I hadn't of been induced. Who really knows though...

Anyway, thanks for the reply!

Whiskers

Closed Thread