It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2009, 06:18 PM   #1
(female)

Ren1981 HB User
2 vessel cord (SUA) help

I discovered my baby had a 2 vessel cord at my 19 week ultrasound and was told it was not a problem but I would have to have extra ultrasounds to check the growth. I had an ultrasound at 28 weeks and the baby was right on average but after seeing the midwife today I was told I have slightly excessive amniotic fluid and one of the babys kidneys is bigger than the other. Has anyone else experienced any of this as i'm a bit worried as to what this means.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:15 PM   #2
(male)

chrisk7877 HB User
Re: 2 vessel cord (SUA) help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren1981 View Post
I discovered my baby had a 2 vessel cord at my 19 week ultrasound and was told it was not a problem but I would have to have extra ultrasounds to check the growth. I had an ultrasound at 28 weeks and the baby was right on average but after seeing the midwife today I was told I have slightly excessive amniotic fluid and one of the babys kidneys is bigger than the other. Has anyone else experienced any of this as i'm a bit worried as to what this means.
I've got a set of twins that will be turning 2 this weekend, and one of them (the boy) had that SUA, while the girl had a normal 3-vessel cord. From what I researched way back a couple of years ago upon first finding out about it, it seems that research shows that about 1% of all babies have this SUA condition, and of that 1%, about 5% or so have some sort of physical defects. The biggest concern is that around 35-36 weeks, the baby may not get enough nutrients from the single artery, and might suffer a slowdown in growth. Our two came about 4 weeks early anyway, but that last week our little girl was catching up to the boy, so I think that was starting to have an effect, although it was rendered moot since they arrived early. No doubt you'll scan the internet and the absolute worst horror stories will jump out at you, but please keep in mind that odds are excellent that this SUA probably won't have much of an affect on anything.

To be perfectly honest, I think that SUA's are more common than what's reported. When I cut the cord (i'm the father) on our son, I overheard one of the assistants noting "normal umbilical cord" -- I told him quickly that I had been informed it was an SUA cord, and they trimmed it back and found that it was. So it MIGHT be more common, but that's just my opinion. Keep your spirits up; the odds are greatly with you that everything will likely be OK.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2009, 07:45 PM   #3
(female)

mrp7 HB User

I had a 2 vessel cord with my daughter. I had NSTs weekly and more frequent u/s. She was fine at birth and is 4 now and has had no issues. I joined a board back in 2005 on baby center with people who also had 2 vessel cord. Maybe there were a handful of women who had issues but 95% of babies were perfectly healthy. As hard as it is, try not to stress too much and don't read too much on the internet about it - when I did, I cried for days.

I do have excess amniotic fluid in this pregnancy though. Beginning around 28 weeks (I'm 34 now), my amniotic fluid has been measuring between 18-22 cm. What was your measurement?

Old 05-28-2009, 05:22 AM   #4
(female)

Ren1981 HB User

Mine was 25.07 and I was told 25 is in the normal range so it's only slightly out. I'm more worried about the kidney thing but I have another ultrasound in just over a week so hopefully everything will be ok then. Nobody has mentioned NST to me but i'll ask about it.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:03 PM   #5
(female)

kristi6190 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren1981 View Post
Mine was 25.07 and I was told 25 is in the normal range so it's only slightly out. I'm more worried about the kidney thing but I have another ultrasound in just over a week so hopefully everything will be ok then. Nobody has mentioned NST to me but i'll ask about it.
i posted a new thread about my little one having the same issue with her kidneys. one was bigger than the other. what were your babys measurments? mine was one at 2.5 and the other at 5.4, and my doctor said it was mild pyelectasis and that it should resolve itself but i am still sooo worried and i read these awful things online saying its associated with down syndrome. but like mrp7 said 95% are ussually fine. keep ur hopes up and defanitely let me know what happens at ur ultrasound so i can know what to expect at mine. thank u and i will keep my fingers crossed for u!

Old 06-10-2009, 04:35 AM   #6
(female)

Ren1981 HB User
Smile Re: 2 vessel cord (SUA) help

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristi6190 View Post
i posted a new thread about my little one having the same issue with her kidneys. one was bigger than the other. what were your babys measurments? mine was one at 2.5 and the other at 5.4, and my doctor said it was mild pyelectasis and that it should resolve itself but i am still sooo worried and i read these awful things online saying its associated with down syndrome. but like mrp7 said 95% are ussually fine. keep ur hopes up and defanitely let me know what happens at ur ultrasound so i can know what to expect at mine. thank u and i will keep my fingers crossed for u!
My baby's measurements were 4.5 and 3.1 for the last ultrasound and I just had the 32 week one and it was 4.6 and 4.3 but I was told it was very common and unlikely to be a problem. My midwife said it's one of the most common things she sees and 99% of the time there was no problem, so I'm feeling much better. Good luck with your ultrasound.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:52 AM   #7
(female)

Ren1981 HB User

Just had a beautiful little boy last wednesday and he's doing great. I was told to take him for an ultrasound tomorrow to check his kidneys but i'm sure it'll be fine. I hope your little one is going well.

Closed Thread