It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2009, 12:21 AM   #1
(female)

esmenjivar HB User
how early can you detect a heartbeat in pregnancy

Hello, my name is Erika and today I had my first ultrasound. I believed I was six weeks and four days today but when I went to the doctor, she said all she could see was an empty tiny black sac in my uterus and nothing else. She said it was most likely going to end in miscarriage or a slight chance that perhaps not. The thing is, I've really never been consistant with my periods. I began to get a faint positive test 12 days ago. How long do you think I would be and is it to early to detect?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2009, 06:54 AM   #2
(female)

Marie84 HB User
Re: how early can you detect a heartbeat in pregnancy

Its kind of early, I went in at 6 weeks with my first pregnancy and they couldnt see a heartbeat yet, but at 8 weeks it was there. If you think about it, your baby has only been growing for two weeks, its still semi microscopic...so maybe it will be ok.
New baby: Due 08 08 09!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2009, 07:03 AM   #3
(female)

Verucalise HB User

I was 7+ weeks with my daughter, they couldn't see a fetal pole and INSISTED I get a D&C.... I was having all sorts of morning sickness and knew there was nothing wrong.

I have a tilted uterus, which they think hid the pregnancy in the beginning.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:16 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

kittyroo HB User

Ditto Marie. It's too early to see much on transvaginal ultrasound. Minimum 8 weeks for a heartbeat, and like the previous poster said, even then it can be hidden for other reasons.

At my clinic they refuse to try to listen before 12 weeks because it's hard to hear before that. If they try too early and don't hear it, everyone freaks out.

I say just relax and enjoy the process, I'm sure everything will be fine.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:12 PM   #5
(female)

mrsbeejones HB User

I went in last week (Tues) for my 3 wk f/u appt. At this point, I was supposed to be ~ 7 - 8 weeks; however, when my DR did another u/s (vaginal instead of abdominal), he saw 2 sacs, which measured at 5 wks 4 days. He decides to do a hcg test to see if he can figure out what was going on. I went back in on the following Thurs to draw blood for HCG comparison. My DR calls me later in the afternoon to tell me that my HCG level dropped from 3800 to 3200 and that I am going to miscarry. He wanted me to schedule for D&C, but I have to disagree. I am not having any signs of miscarrying as of yet...no pain, no blood; however, just some pregnancy symptoms. I am aware that miscarriages can occur weeks after. We have ruled out ectopic and molar, so I decided that if I am miscarrying, then I would rather prefer it naturally. I've also heard of lab errors, vanishing twin sydrome, etc.

Does anyone else think that I was too soon to even suggest a D&C? I am going to wait and see what happens. I think I'm too early.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:38 PM   #6
(female)

Marie84 HB User

I had a D&C and it was awful...but I was at 11 weeks and the baby (you could make out a "baby shape") was measuring at 8 weeks, and I had three ultrasounds, and I myself could tell that this baby was no longer alive. So I did a D&C, but it was the only option they gave me....looking back I was glad to have it over with..but I KNEW my baby was no longer alive...if I didnt know for sure then I might have had a different mindset.
Of course waiting for it to come naturally is the best way, sometimes there are complications, but in the end not having a surgery is always better than having one...
So sorry to hear about all this!
Are they going to keep checking you to make sure it wasnt a fluke? And whats weird to me is that your HCG number was 3800 if the sacks only measured at 5 wks 4 days, that is REALLY high numbers if the babies stop growing at 5 weeks.....I dont know..but its something you could ask your doctor, maybe the placenta kept making HCG..I dont know...but 3800 is pretty high for 5 weeks.
Hope it works out!
New baby: Due 08 08 09!

Closed Thread