It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2009, 11:35 AM   #1
(female)

Speechie HB User
high hcg levels and down syndrome?

am 30 years old 17 weeks pregnant with my first child and received an abnormal reading on my quad screen. I was WNL for AFP, estriodal and inhibin-A. My HcG levels were at 3.98. 4 multiples above the median (which is 1.0). Given my age and normal markings for the other indicators, my risk is low. But how does the elevated level fo HcG relate to an increased chance of having a child with down syndrome?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2010, 04:20 PM   #2
(female)

jstin HB User
Re: high hcg levels and down syndrome?

Hi Speechie,
Sorry I can't answer your question. I have read that too and I am also worried about down's. I am sure since your test came back abnormal your doc will order so more extensive testing. Best of luck to you and the rest of us.
#1 08/07/2007 - It's a boy!
#2 EDD 09/04/2010

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2010, 06:43 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

hotmama08 HB User

I was 37 when I have my first pregnancy. I failed my initial screen tremendously, from the ultrasound to blood test. My OB gave me one in less than 4 chances of baby being Downs and I was heartbroken. We did the amnio and my son is a perfect healthy baby boy with no genetic or physical problems.

Remember, it is a screening, not diagnostic.
I am pregnant again and decided to skip all the screening due to the unnecessary stress it caused my pregnancy. Because of my age, now 39 we decided to go straight to amnio not because we will decide if we abort or not but for us to be ready of the possibilities.

I have sisters and family members who were pregnant over 40 with perfect healthy babies. I think if you and your husband has no genetic problems among each of your family and relatives, and you are still young, you shouldnt worry that much although it is tough not to worry. Goodluck!

Old 02-25-2010, 12:18 PM   #4
(female)

amynyc HB User

Hi

I am with hotmama08! I was 39 with my first pregnancy and I had the pre screening and it said I had a very high chance of having a down baby.. It was the most stressful time in my life! I was always planning to have an amino and did not WANT The blood work!
I had a friend who was told the same news and doc ordered the amino and everything is fine.. To be sure the amino is the only way to ease the mind!
I also had a good friend at 35 was told her pre screening test was good and not to worry. She chose not to have the amino and had a down baby! So blood work in the pre screening process to me is very confusing! I tell everyone to go right for the amino

I am trying again at 41 to have another and I will ONLY have an amino NO blood work!
amy

Last edited by amynyc; 02-25-2010 at 12:20 PM.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:18 PM   #5
(female)

Karen128 HB User

I just wanted to chime in as I had CVS (at 12wks, need to do it before 13) due to early bloodwork (week 10) problems and age (37). I had super low PAPPA and slightly elevated HCG and a 1:43 chance of downs. My results came back normal I'm still going in for the quad marker this week, mostly for spinal problems. Also my super low PAPPA puts me at greater risk for placenta problems later on. I'll have a few more ultrasounds and check ups to make sure everything's going smoothly. I don't know what higher HCG with everything else normal may indicate.

I just wanted everyone to know that there is an earlier test you can do if you have expert Drs in your area and you want to know sooner.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:19 PM   #6
(female)

somark HB User

Hi.

I also was recently told I have elevated HCG levels, but all my other screening looked good. I'm wondering if the fact I was on Clomid affected my levels? Also, I'm looking for more stories of women that were told they had elevated HCG levels...

Thanks!

Closed Thread