It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2010, 06:38 AM   #1
(female)

ChaoticCutie HB User
Question Whats less painful? Water birth or vaginal with an epideral?

My husband and i have been trying to conceive and I recently found out i was pregnant and i am not at all worried about the being able to raise the baby well but about the actual birthing. I have the worst and lowest tollerence for pain. Please is anyone else out there who has low tolerence for pain that can tell me if they had a good only slightly painful birth with one of these? I heard that even though you dont get an epideral the water birth is less painful by alot.

Last edited by ChaoticCutie; 02-15-2010 at 06:49 AM.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LiseK HB User
Re: Whats less painful? Water birth or vaginal with an epideral?

I don't really have an answer for you. I've never had a water birth. Epidurals are good for taking away the pain though, I've had 2 with my two sons and plan on having another one with this labor as well. I know there is potential for side effects like epidural headaches and other things, I've never had an issue at all with any of that though. Congrats on your pregnancy!! I hope someone can give you some input as far as how painless water births are compared to vaginal with epidural.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2010, 12:33 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

kittyroo HB User

Boy that's a tough one. I would ask a seasoned labor and delivery nurse for their opinion. They've seen every kind of birth imaginable a hundred times, so they'll probably have some insight for you.

As for me, I had the epidural and I LOVED it. I slept through most of my labor and only got up and running when it was time to push. THen it hurt, but I don't think you can really avoid that regardless of which way you choose.

The main thing is not to let anyone judge you for your choice. Some will say one way is better than the other, but because we are all individuals--what works well for some works horribly for others. Stand firm in your choice.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:31 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

myloathe HB User

Well, I just had my 2nd child a week ago and let me tell ya, my epidural was so good, I could not feel a thing, not even the baby coming out! I had to literally watch the monitor to determine when the contractions were coming so I knew when to try to push. If you have a low tolerance for pain, epidurals are the way to go!

Old 02-16-2010, 12:02 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

I've never done water birth, so I know nothing about that. I had an epidural with each of my 3 girls and I loved it. With my first, they way overdid it and I couldn't feel anything at all (like myloathe, I had to watch the monitor to know when to push!). With #2 and #3, they let me control the epidural, so I was able to feel the muscles contracting and such, but it was completely pain free. I highly recommend an epidural!!!

It's really up to you and what you feel is best. There are some women out there who want to go completely natural and that's fine for them. Others like me, want as little pain as possible, so they choose epidurals or something else. This is your body and your baby.... so do whatever makes you feel the most comfortable.... don't worry about what anyone else thinks!

Old 02-16-2010, 09:06 PM   #6
(female)

honeydiet HB User

I haven't even given birth yet but I have read about both and I am choosing an epidural. With a water birth, there is one thing that I just refuse to deal with and that is the poo that will be floating around in the tub. It's really common and normal for poo to come out when you pushing and well, I'm sorry but if I'm sitting in the bath with my husband and I see my poo floating by, well, I just couldn't handle it. I'd totally lose my focus and worry that DH is going to be grossed out. My poo is something I never want my husband to see. Also I think it's still pretty painful.

Just had to make sure I got that point across. Good Luck.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:32 PM   #7
(female)

karensk HB User

In my case, laboring in the water (I got out for the actual birth) was less painful than a previous labor with the epidural.

To clarify, back in 1994 I do not believe the epidurals were as advanced as they are now. When I had mine, I had this area around my ovary that DID NOT TAKE. I felt the contractions there but could not move or do anything about it. They "topped it off" but it just did not work. I was in agony from that one spot. My labor in water was MUCH more relaxing than that previous epidural experience. I also did a Pitocin-induced, no pain med labor for #2, and that was by far the worst of all.

Last edited by karensk; 02-16-2010 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Can't spell tonight

Old 02-18-2010, 07:08 AM   #8
(female)

ChaoticCutie HB User

Thanks so much for all the advice, I had never heard anything about poo coming out lol and thank goodness you told me i wouldnt want DH to see that...it would be very gross, In my family almost every woman has had complications and had to have c sections. My mother lost 3 babies before me. Has anyone had a c section? Im just trying to get information from people who have experienced just about everything

Old 02-19-2010, 08:33 AM   #9
(female)

froggie83 HB User

if you really want to know all you can from 'been there done that moms' then i would head over to american pregnancy association's website, it is all about moms and people who are pregnant, i am sure that you will find all that you want to know from moms who have been there and done that! i like that site for my pregnancy questions and this site for my gereral health questions.

Old 02-19-2010, 04:16 PM   #10
(female)

ChaoticCutie HB User

thanks so much forthe website

Old 02-22-2010, 06:56 PM   #11
(female)

afraidofdying HB User

By fat the epidural is less painful. However, it doesnt come without it's risks. They may be rare, but they do happen. I have many many friends who are mom's and most have had the epidural. One of them became paralized. Only one out of hundreds of women, most with more then one child, isnt that bad. But it does happen, so be aware. If you can, look to see if your hospital offers the interthecal. It's the same Idea, but without anything attatched to your back. It's a one time injection. It worked wonders for me. It's like the epidural, only your legs arent numb and you can still walk around if you need to.

Last edited by afraidofdying; 02-22-2010 at 06:57 PM. Reason: had to add a couple words, it didnt make sense.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:11 PM   #12
(female)

dhill2020 HB User

The way that I heard it, water birth is less traumatic for the baby. Epidurals less painful for you, but definately ask a birthing expert, a birthing nurse! Don't let anyone (not even your husband) pressure you into something you don't want. Either way enjoy your little miracle!

Closed Thread