It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2010, 08:16 AM   #1
(female)

desigrl HB User
NT screening, SCARED TO DEATH!

Hi everyone,

I will turn 35 on the day I deliver (c-section) my baby, my Dr. recommended I do a NT screening...but i've heard HORRID stories about it, false positives and a whole bunch of other stuff...from what I have read most mother's had the NT screening where the Dr's and "genetic counselors" scared them to death...they were stressed all throughout their pregnancy (sure they will have a child with Down's Syndrome) but when they delivered the baby was fine...is it worth going through all the stress? I am supposed get my NT screening this coming week. Anyone been through this hell?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2010, 03:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

justmel30 HB User
Re: NT screening, SCARED TO DEATH!

I have not personally been through it. However, if you found out your child had downsyndrome, would you love them any less? Of course not. So for me, you have one of two options, you can make up your mind now that whatever the results are, you are going to take the positive out of it, and if your baby is downsyndrom, you are going to take this time to learn as much as you can about it so you can and your baby can be the best that you can be. Your other option is to not take the test. Determine now that these things are not in your hands, and again, no matter what happens, you are going to love this baby. It never hurts to pray either. Even women of normal age run the risk of having a child with disabilities. I wouldnt be afraid, it's still your baby, and they are still perfect in their own way, just unique. Good luck to you.
Melissa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2010, 11:47 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

hotmama08 HB User

It is just a screening and not diagnostic.

To ease up your mind, I failed my NT screening miserably. The blood test, ultrasound where they measure the neck of the baby and my age all gave me a Down's Syndrome ratio from 1:250 down to 1 in less than 4 !!!!
My doctor and my genetic counselors all gave me a sad look on their faces.

Yes, I wouldnt abort esp after seeing your baby in the ultrasound kicking and moving his hands, how could you even think of aborting but yes, as a mom, it is unrealistic to say, do not worry. You couldnt help but cry and feel bad about your baby as all moms only wants the best for their kids and that includes their health. I was so stressed and called in sick from work the entire week due to my sky high stress levels and crying non stop.

I then opted for amniocentesis which is more diagnostic so we could really clear everything and move on from there.
Then, the result came out. My baby boy has no Down Syndromes or any anomaly at all. The NT screening was a major failure!

Here is the political side of it, your insurance wont pay for the amnio unless something came up with your NT screening. So your OB wont be reimbursed for ordering an amniocentesis since your age isnt even a candidate for it.

Go with your NT screening, if it comes out good (prayers for you) then you can move on from there. If the result is the opposite, do not panic like I did.
Ask for amniocentesis. Only then, your insurance will pay for it. It isnt as bad as what others were saying. The procedure itself was quick as 10 seconds and I stayed home resting all day to avoid any complications. Result came next day (I paid extra to get the results fast) or otherwise it will take a week and my stress levels couldnt wait that long. It was all worth it.

If you refuse the NT screen, your OB cant force you but they will really talk you into it. It's all about making sure you're good to go and they get reimbursed and everybody happy.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

I don't bother with any of the early testing. It wouldn't change my outcome, so I figure why bother. In fact, I would not elect to have an amnio based on these early screening since the amnio itself (which is the only diagnostic test that can definitively answer the genetics questions) carries a 1-2% risk of miscarriage. A bunch of worthless tests if you ask me. Not to mention the millions of women every year who get freaked out because their numbers come backed with a "doubled risk" of downs. Forget it, not for me.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:04 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

liloulou HB User

I think you need to evaluate two things. 1) do you want to know if you have a child with disabilities? 2) would you abort the baby if you found out? Would you want the extra knowledge to be able to better prepare for a special needs child?

Once you answer these questions I think you'll know what to do in terms of genetic testing- from the NT screening to amnio...

If you think you'd want to at least know a "for sure" 100%, you will need to get the amnio after a non-stellar NT screen. Just like hotmama said, for insurance reasons you might want to get it. Great post from her.

And yes, the NT a new screening, not a diagnosis. I didn't have this with my first child three years ago and was now offered it with my second.

In either way, just know yourself and what you are capable of handling emotionally and what will help you in future planning.

Good luck.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:58 AM   #6
(female)

newenglander2 HB User

I am 16 weeks right now, and we are currently undergoing these early tests. We are also worried and concerned, so I can understand where you are coming from.
However, I would advise you to keep in mind that these tests are just that-preliminary screening tests to determine if there is a possibility something may be wrong. Go for the amnio at 16 weeks which is 94% accurate and then patiently await the results. I hear it's painless.
If it makes you feel any better, my sil was wrecked when the doctor told her that her son has Downs (it's funny how the doctor was so sure of herself...), yet her son was born healthy and just fine. He is 8 years old and a straight a student. With her second son, the doctor told her that his spinal cord did not fully close. True-he was born with a small defect at the bottom of his spine which presents no problems, but he is a healthy, smart and active 3 year old.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:24 PM   #7
(female)

desigrl HB User

Thank you everyone!! I just got back from my NT screening...and everything looks fine...we saw the nasal bone and the the NT measurement was 1.5mm...the person doing the ultrasound measured 4 different times and it never went over 2mm. They took 5 drops of blood from me...hopefully the results will be fine....

Last edited by desigrl; 03-19-2010 at 05:34 AM.

Old 04-17-2010, 02:26 PM   #8
(female)

evc0303 HB User

I am 29 years old and almost 28 weeks pregnant with my 2nd child. At 12 weeks 6 days my NT measurement was a 4.4 and dr said she couldn't see nasal bone; however, she felt it was due to the fact that the baby was in a bad position. I dont know my exact bloodwork #s and if they were abnormal or not. We decided against and amnio and are waiting until birth. We were given a 1:6 risk for down syndrome. At 16 weeks a 2 vessel (SUA) umbilical cord was spotted and so was the nasal bone. At 20 weeks a EIF was found by cardiologist; however she said everything looked perfect and not to worry about EIF at all. I know SUA and EIF are both soft markers for downs, but I am concerned with having both of them and the high NT! Just had a growth scan last week and the baby is measuring about 1 1/2 weeks behind (but all over growth is smaller). The dr was pleased with the increase in growth since my last appt. My daughter measured 3 weeks smaller right before I delivered her and she was perfectly healthy...so maybe I just have smaller babies?!? In my heart I feel all is well but its so hard to play this waiting game.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:13 AM   #9
(female)

desigrl HB User

Don't worry, you will have a healthy baby!!! "They" scared me to death...since I was going to turn 35 on the day I deliver my baby. The genetic counselor called me with a bright and cheery voice saying "I have great news..." so:

My risk of having a baby with DS went from 1/303 to 1/6041 (19.9-fold risk reduction)
Risk of trisonomy 13 or 18 went from 1/536 to 1/10,000 (18 fold risk reduction)

When I did the ultrasound we could see the nasal bone and the NT measurement 1” and they measured about 5 times. I also had the blood test as well.
Stay positive and all will be well! Like you said, you probably have smaller babies...hang in there...you're almost there...GOD BLESS!!

Last edited by desigrl; 04-19-2010 at 07:20 AM.

Closed Thread