It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2010, 07:41 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

cookiemunster65 HB User
5 week ultrasound showed nothing??

i wanted to know if anyone else had an early ultrasound. my doctor wanted me to get one at 5 weeks to show placement, and to verify that it was not ectopic. when i got to the hospital, the ultrasound tech said "what did they send you here for already?? good luck if we find anything!" i wasn't exactly surprised by that, but i had done a little bit of research online what 5 week ultrasounds look like, and you could at least see the black dot (which is the sac.)

so she was looking everywhere, nothing in my tubes, and then she got to my uterus and saw that my lining was "cookin' something in there" but there was no visible sac. so my question is, i understand there's a huge chance that i was just way too early, but has anyone had this happen and end up having a normal pregnancy? can you really see if something was "cookin'"?

i mean, she said that the difference of a few days or a week makes a huuuuge change and to come back in a week (6weeks) or when i'm 8 weeks and we should at least be able to see something. i'm just very nervous, this is my first pregnancy and we had been trying for 2 years. anything anyone has to say to calm me down would be very much appreciated, i know i'm probably just worrying, which is normal - i know..

Old 03-26-2010, 12:47 AM   #2
(female)

kksmum HB User
Re: 5 week ultrasound showed nothing??

as long as your blood work HCG levels continue to rise... youre golden.. I think the baby is about the size of the tip of a pen... but if they saw somethin cookin and nothing in ur tubes, no worries keep us posted!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2010, 05:13 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

LiseK HB User

Hey Cookie,at the u/s for my ds at 6 weeks they had me totally freaked out because the saw a sac but nothing in it, so they had me come back at 7 weeks and there he was. I hope everything is ok. Definitely keep us posted.
It could just be way too early, since the tech said that as well I'd think that anyway. Most drs don't even do a viability u/s until after 7 or 8 weeks because they don't want to freak out the pregnant person. 5 weeks is pretty early.

Last edited by LiseK; 03-26-2010 at 05:16 AM. Reason: added thoughts.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:08 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

srivera HB User

We had one just before six weeks and all they could see was a little black dot. They said we were lucky to even see that, at that point, so I think you are ok cookie I think what they mean by it is cookin' something is that the lining of your uterus is enlarged, which is a good sign

Old 03-26-2010, 06:18 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

justmel30 HB User

I am curiouse.......why are they concerned about placement at 5 weeks? I have never heard of this. . Normally, the first ultrasound done is at about 10 weeks. Having said that, I have a feeling you probably shouldn't worry about this. The little estimater they use is NEVER right. At least it never was for me. They predict your due date on a 28 day cycle and assume that you ovulate on your 14th day. Everytime I did the 10 week ultrasound, they changed my due date because I was either further along or not as far as we thought. It is possible, for you, that you may not be as far along as you are thinking. They just changed my due date by 7 days after I had my 10 week ultrasound. So my guess is your just fine, but your doc. has miscalculated your time of conception. Hope that helps you.
Melissa

Old 03-28-2010, 07:22 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

cookiemunster65 HB User

thank you everyone for your responses. you really made me feel much better. i think it was more of my mind running away with itself.

srivera: that is exactly what the tech said, about my lining being enlarged. i had never heard that before, but i guess it makes sense.

the doctor had called me friday and wanted me to go tomorrow (monday) for another ultrasound. i mean, i dont mind because we're lucky our insurance covers it, but it seems a little too early yet. i wont even be a full 6 weeks, i'll be 5w6d. but whatever, i'll get as many as they want. they did say though, if they dont see anything still (which it still might be too early) they will continue with the bloodwork. they only did 2 hcg blood tests, and she said they typically dont order more unless the ultrasounds are not normal. so, i dont know. these doctors are driving me crazy haha

thank you again for your reassurance guys, i appreciate it!!

Old 04-01-2010, 01:24 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

lucii HB User

hiiya, how did the u/s go on monday?
x

Old 04-01-2010, 08:31 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

cookiemunster65 HB User

sorry, i was going to write yesterday, but we've had alot going at home.

the doctor called with the results and she wasn't sure if it was a viable gestational sac. she said it measured 5w2d as of monday (i thought it was 5w6d to my calculations.) so she said i probably just implanted late, which was fine. anyway, she made me go get my hcg tested again, and that was the deciding factor if it was viable or not.. so my hcg was 9000! (last test 2 weeks ago was 232) so we were both quite impressed.

i go for another ultrasound next monday (april 5th) which i should measure 6w2d so hopefully they'll be able to see everything clearly and everything will go well. i'll still keep you updated, this has been such a hard time getting pregnant, and we're having nothing but difficulties while being pregnant lol such is life

Last edited by cookiemunster65; 04-01-2010 at 08:31 PM.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:20 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

justmel30 HB User

YAY! Congratulations! Just "try" to enjoy it as much as you can! Best of luck.
Melissa

Old 04-02-2010, 01:08 PM   #10
(female)

scoobylou22 HB User

i had an ultrasound at 6wks and it didnt show up anything at first so they had to do a vaginal scan and they found the heartbeat straight away. Even at 6 weeks there wasnt really much to see just a tiny little fluttering bean.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:14 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

cookiemunster65 HB User

i just got the results of my ultrasound i had yesterday... the reason they never said anything is because they wanted to verify that it was TWINS!!!!!! dh and i are over excited!!!! i go for another one next wednesday to see for heartbeat, i should be about 7weeks and a few days at that point. she said not to be upset if we dont hear a heartbeat just then, but the following week we should for sure..

i am absolutely over the moon, thank you ALL for your thoughts and comforting words! you all really eased my mind!!

Old 04-06-2010, 07:22 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

justmel30 HB User

OMG!!!! Congratulations! And all that worry was for nothing! I'm so happy for you. Congrats again!
Melissa

Old 04-06-2010, 07:27 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

cookiemunster65 HB User

thank you melissa.. yes, all that worrying for nothing!

Old 04-07-2010, 02:38 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Eva77 HB User

CONGRATS!!!!I have 15 month old twin boys.They are amazing.I wish you a healthy 9 months!!

Eva

Old 04-07-2010, 04:14 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

LiseK HB User

Congrats X2 Cookie, I know you've been trying for a while so this has to be twice as nice.

Closed Thread