It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2010, 08:05 PM   #1
(female)

Stigma HB User
Exercise & Heartrate

I have tried to post the same question before but haven't had much luck with anyone replying since it was an old thread and the question was pertaining to the first trimester. I am now in my 5th month and every doctor has told me that it's fine to exercise, that I can basically do whatever I want as long as I'm feeling OK while doing it, yet at the same time they did confirm that my heart rate shouldn't be over 140 bmp. This really confuses me as I'm used to working out at about 160-180 bmp and I find that it's too easy for me to reach 140 now, especially with the extra weight gain. That heart rate is just walking and when I was on the stairmaster the other day, it was 160.

Is this really a big no-no??? I'm so confused. I understand that overheating is not good but you have women doing marathon runs in their last trimesters and of course their heart rate is gonna be higher than 140. I don't find any benefit from walking and a real workout helps me immensely with stress, anxiety, depression, overeating, etc.

Please help! What are you doing for exercise? Has anyone done a fairly good cardio exercise program while pregnant and benefited? Other stories/opinions/inputs???

Thanks!

Old 04-24-2010, 11:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

justmel30 HB User
Re: Exercise & Heartrate

I think it would be best if you spoke with your OB at your next appointment about this. He would know your situation and what is best for you and your pregnancy better then what anyone here can advise you on. However, having said that, you could try going for a longer walk, or a faster paced one, or even two walks a day. I have 3 kids so for me, just keeping up with the laundry which is in the basement, and putting it all away in their rooms, which are on the third floor, feels like plenty of excercise to me! lol. But honestly, when I'm feeling anxiouse and like I really need excercise, I either do some yard work...i.e. raking, weeding, lawn mowing, etc.......or I clean around the house at a good quick pace, up and down the stairs, shaking rugs, reaching high to dust, sweeping, scrubbing, mopping.......after an hour or two, I'm pretty well off AND my house is nice and clean. And so far so good.....17 weeks pregnant and I've only put on about 3 or 4 pounds. So I'm feeling good about that. Plus, I also go for a walk with my kids most every day. Good luck to you!
Melissa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread