It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2010, 05:20 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User
Early Ultrasounds

Hi all! I am newly pregnant with baby #2. We are extremely excited, particularly because things happened the first time we started trying! I used this forum when I was pregnant with dd three years ago and found them very helpful.
According to our calculations, this baby should arrive around January 7, 2011. I am wondering about early ultrasounds. With dd, we did not have an ultrasound until week 19 and that was it.
Why do some women get the early ultrasound? Is this just a doctor's choice? Does it have to do with insurance? Just wondering.
Thanks!

Old 05-06-2010, 08:42 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

simplyheather HB User
Re: Early Ultrasounds

Usually at the clinic I work for, we do early u/s when the dates and the cervix/uterus size don't match, if the patient doesn't know how far along she is, or if the provider is having a hard time finding fetal heart tones.

Other than that, we don't do one until 18-22 weeks along.

Also sometimes if the patient has a history of complications in previous pregnancies, they might do one, but we rarely get that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2010, 01:33 PM   #3
(female)

Betty Bee HB User

Hi Laura Lu! My first pregnancy I had an ultra sound done at 8 weeks to check the accuracy of the due date, viability, etc...Then aroung 12 weeks another and to listen to baby's heart beat. I'm not sure why some docs choose not to do early ultra sound. I had a lot of ultra sounds especially in the first and second trimester, because my OB sent me to a perinatologist due to my age and the increase risk for miscarriage, downs, spina bifida etc...In my case, I was 35 and considered "advanced medical age" for pregnancy, so maybe that's why? I don't think it has anything to do with insurance. Do you live in the states? I live in Florida. On a different note, according to the due date calenders on the internet, baby's due date is January 3rd!! YAAAY!

Old 05-06-2010, 01:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User

Hi Betty!!!
That's great we're so close in due dates. I figured we would be! I can't wait for the other January mommas to get over here! I am SOOO excited about this pregnancy.
I live in Pennsylvania, and I am 28. With my first pregnancy I was 24 when we first conceived. Perhaps because I was at a "younger" maternal age, they chose to skip the ultrasound. I have heard that one is given if a woman is unsure of her LMP or she measures bigger/smaller than normal.
I guess I'm just wondering because I fear twins. I know that sounds really horrible, but I just scare easily over this. My brother has fraternal twins, and my husband's mother is a twin. I know that twins run on the mother's side and with women over 35, but it still looms in my head!
How are you feeling, Betty? I think the nausea is officially setting in on my side. Ick! And I do NOT remember feeling THIS tired with my daughter. It's like I'm on permanant cold medicine and I can't break free from the fog.
Have you made your first OB appt yet? Blood work?
We go on the 17th for the paperwork portion. Blood work all looks good too. Keep me posted!

Old 05-06-2010, 02:18 PM   #5
(female)

Betty Bee HB User

Hi!! I'm feeling a little sick and find the taste of toothpaste in the morning makes me gag!! I'm also tired but it's probably because my 18 month old isn't sleeping through the night yet and I usually join him in his bedroom around 1 am when he gets up. I was really sick with my first baby until about 13 weeks..., so hopefully my hormones will be good to me this time around! I'm totally excited but also a worrier at heart. I worry about the pregnancy especially in the first trimester. I'm an old lady apparently--oh--it's advanced maternal age!!--so along with that is a worried mommy!! My husband keeps centering me and telling me everything will be just fine, and I truly believe him! I'm wondering if this nausea is actual m/s or just my worried little heart!! My first doc appointment is on the 12th. I'll have blood work and an initial exam but most likely no ultrasound. I'm going with a mid-wife this time. For one, my past OB is affiliated with a hospital about 15 miles away, with this particular office I'm going to now, their affiliated hospital is about 5 miles away. Much more convenient when it comes time for delivery and hospital stay, as I will be having a c-section. Laura, I'm so excited to have met you over the boards and can't wait to hear from other January Mommies!!!! I heard with twins, it only runs on your mother's side and can't be passed along through a male??? Not sure if it's true. I really thought twins being genetic was an old wives tale, but maybe I'm wrong!! I understand being nervous about having twins...it's twice the work but twice the fun and love!! I would say your odds are slim on having twins, but who am I to say!

Old 05-10-2010, 11:53 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

Congrats, LauraLu! How exciting! And January 7 is one of my most favorite days of the year!

I totally understand the twins fear..... and you have every right to call it a fear! It's crazy enough to anticipate the coming of ONE child, but TWO? Yeah, it's a perfectly rational and normal fear! One that if it came true, I know you could totally handle it and make it work, because you seem to be a wonderful mom, but it's a valid fear to have.

As far as being more tired and nauseated, that could just be due to the fact that you have another child to deal with.... I have found that each pregnancy has been slightly worse than the last (hence my own fears about twins!).

I have no idea what the stats are on twins and such. I was convinced that my last two kids were going to have twins, but thankfully, they didn't! Now I'm pregnant again (22 weeks), and when I first got pregnant, I had that same feeling again, but nope, it's just one kiddo in there!

I had early ultrasounds with each of my pregnancies. My first I had one because of early cramping and with my second and third, I had brown spotting and cramping.... now, with this one, my doctor just said that because of all the stress I'm under (I have three kids, we're trying to sell our house, and my husband is military and currently doesn't live at home due to training), he wanted to do an early one to make sure everything was in order.

I think you really just have to talk to your doctor and find out what his or her take is on getting an early one. Mine was all for tweaking his reasoning and calling it medically necessary to have one early on, just to get it covered with the insurance. So yours might go along with having an early one too?

Anyway.... congrats again and good luck!

Closed Thread