It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2010, 07:48 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

liloulou HB User
Spinal versus Epidural for planned csection?

Going on baby #2 in about 6 weeks and it's a planned cesarean.

I had an epidural with my first cesarean since it wasn't planned. All went super smooth with that.

Now, I've heard the default is a spinal for this one.

Not sure what the differences are between the two procedures, except I've heard of spinal headaches (I'm already a migraine sufferer so that worries me) and back pain afterwards (I have two herniated discs and have no idea if that makes a difference in this procedure).

Anyone have both and can tell me about their experiences?

Old 06-01-2010, 01:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

justmel30 HB User
Re: Spinal versus Epidural for planned csection?

I could be wrong.......but I think that a spinal tap is another name for an epidural. I believe they are the same. Also, you risk the headache with an epidural as well. It has something to do with leaking too much spinal fluid.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2010, 09:53 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

liloulou HB User

I know the epidural is when the drugs are placed between something in your spine and the spinal block is when it's placed in the spinal canal. A spinal tap is something completely different.

Thanks....

Old 06-02-2010, 10:53 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

justmel30 HB User

Ok, I went online and I looked it all up. A spinal block, is a one time injection made directly into the spinal fluid that is instant relief but only lasts a few hours rather then a continuas feed into the space around the spine through a catheter which is what an epidual is. I had an interthecal (spinal block) my last labor. Now I have never had an epidural to compare, and I have never had a c-section, but I did find it to be very relieving. However, it makes you very itchy, and some women need benedryl. However, both have the risk of a headache. I didn't get one with the spinal block. I didn't get OVERLY itchy either, a little, but not too bad. Mostly, it just put me to sleep! But like I said, I have not had a c-section to tell you how effective it is for that. And yes, a spinal tap is completely different. that is a test used to check the spinal fluid for infection. So, I'm all happy that I got to learn something new today! lol. Good luck!
Melissa

Old 06-02-2010, 05:05 PM   #5
(female)

desigrl HB User

I had a spinal block with my first baby, it was an emergency c-section but they managed to give me the spinal block. It is a one time deal and I remember it hurt!!! The only thing i fear this time around is the actual spinal block...i'm dreading it I did have a massive headache after for a few days...enough to make me not function at all. I also know, when a spinal block is done correctly it shouldn't give you a headache. The headache comes for the minute spinal fluid that leaks out when they puncture the area...of course it is very hard to get it right...so almost always there will be some leakage.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:39 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

justmel30 HB User

I was having a contraction when they gave it to me....but honestly, I dont remember it hurting. I didn't get the headache either......now I'm getting scared! lol I was planning on getting one again this time!

Old 06-03-2010, 07:16 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

simplyheather HB User

I had an intrathecal with my son, never did get the epidural. My back hurt for weeks afterward from it. And I think that's what gave me my migraines that I suffer from now. This time I will be doing an epidural, so I'll let you know in 5 weeks! haha

Old 06-03-2010, 07:43 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

liloulou HB User

I'm really confused as to which I should request... I really don't want more headaches and migraines. I am already a migraine sufferer and can't imagine having a headache plus surgery plus trying to care for a newborn....

I know that the epidural worked well the first time so part of me wants to stick with what I know. But I also know the spinal block is easier for the doctor and the risk of headaches is slim with both procedures overall.

I have six weeks left to make a decision....

Old 06-03-2010, 08:40 AM   #9
(female)

desigrl HB User

While we are on this topic...i was wondering is anyone knew if a urinary catheter can be inserted AFTER they have given you a spinal block or epidural? I REALLY don't want them to put it in when I can feel stuff, i'd rather be numb...does that make sense?

Last edited by desigrl; 06-03-2010 at 08:41 AM.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:52 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

liloulou HB User

Desigrl- they put mine in the first time after the epidural was in place. I guess I'm assuming they'll do it that way again... can't imagine before either.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:56 AM   #11
(female)

desigrl HB User

lucky you! The goofy hospital I was in actually inserted the urinary catheter in me before they gave me the spinal block...ooohhh it hurt! Not a good feeling at all...I still remember it as though it were done yesterday...makes me cringe!

Last edited by desigrl; 06-09-2010 at 07:02 PM.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:24 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

liloulou HB User

Oh, I will definitely remind them to put it in after the spinal or epidural is placed...

Otherwise, I learned today that having two herniated discs in my back could affect which I receive (epidural or spinal) and the placement. Apparently the doctor usually puts the meds in L4-5, but since that's one of my herniated discs, the doctor may opt to put it in L3-4 (higher up) in the spine. Just an FYI for anyone else out there with this issue.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:53 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Namibia HB User

I have just had my 2nd c-section 16 days ago and I had a spinal again. I did get itchy but they gave me a pill to take it away. I did not have a headache either. The feeling also comes quickly afterwards which is great. The actual spinal was not sore just a pin ***** and then everything started going numb. I also did not suffer from backache. Good luck I hope everything goes well for you.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:03 PM   #14
(female)

desigrl HB User

Awesome! Glad to see everything went well with you! Congrats!!

Closed Thread