It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2010, 02:02 PM   #1
(female)

ninamarie81 HB User
Exclamation Miscalculated Gestational Age mistaken for "Missed Miscarriage"?

Hi Everyone! Here's my story:

One June 25th I took a pregnancy test (well, 4) and they all came up positive. I had a feeling I might be pregnant because I was a little nauseous and the previous month in May I got my period on the 15th. The thing is, I usually have very normal periods that come around the 23rd-25th of every single month. May's period (on the 15th) was sort of a anomaly to me. Anyway, I thought "well - maybe my cycle was changing or whatever." I didn't give it too much thought.
However, when I took that pregnancy test on June 25th I started to wonder how I could truly gauge when I got pregnant and how many weeks (or days) along I was.

I go to see the pre-natal nurse on July 8th (didn't even see a doctor that day) and she just sat me down in a room and asked me some questions. Naturally, her first question was "When was your last period?". I told her May 15th but I immediately followed it up with "THAT'S NOT THE NORM". However, I think that went right over her head because she said to me "Well that makes you 7 weeks and 5 days". Then she proceeded to schedule me for my 11th week check-up and ultrasound. (Apparently in this office they don't do anything before 11 weeks anyway). So, for me - I immediately got this feeling that she wasn't completely right about how far along I was. According to her "calculation" I would have had to have gotten pregnant almost the same exact time I was having my period in May. It just didn't make any sense to me. She told me my tentative due date would be Feb. 21st. I still didn't feel convinced I was that far along but I figured I'd just wait until my "11th week" check-up and ultrasound and let the doctor decide for himself just how far along I really was.

So, yesterday I went to the doctor for my supposed "11th week" check-up. Up until this point everything seemed fine. I've been terribly nauseous but no vomiting. No bleeding. No cramping. Very tired. The normal first trimester stuff. I have one child already so it felt pretty similar. Actually feels worse! The doctor gave me a pelvic exam and checked me out and after looking me over and talking to me seemed to think everything was fine. Then, he pulled out the doppler to hear the baby's heartbeat. No heartbeat. So he says "well sometimes you can't hear it on doppler, let me send you over for an ultrasound - but I'm sure it will be just fine". I go next door for the ultrasound. Mind you, everyone still thinks I'm 11 weeks pregnant but I still haven't said anything about how I think I'm not quite that far along because I figure...here comes the ultrasound. So, the sonographer comes in and she does a trans-vaginal ultrasound. (This woman had the bedside manner of a tree stump by the way and she was rushing through the whole thing). She had this look of horror on her face, and she said "how many weeks are you supposed to be? 11 weeks?" I said, "yeah I guess so" (Because again I still didn't believe I was 11 weeks). Anyway she says..well it looks like here the baby is 8 weeks...no 6 weeks...the size of 6 weeks...and no heartbeat. It looks like the baby stopped growing at 6 weeks. Then she told me I would have to talk to the doctor.

At this point the doctor left the office to go to another office in town because he assumed everything was going to be ok. So he didn't have a chance to actually SEE the ultrasound pictures. I'm assuming he was just taking what he heard from the sonographer and his nurse. So I go into his office and his nurse is there and he's on speaker phone. He tells me how sorry he is that he couldn't be there in person and that this happens in 1 in 5 pregnancies and that I'm miscarrying but my body probably doesn't know I'm not pregnant anymore which is why I haven't bled/cramped and that I should probably get a D&C right away. (I looked it up afterwards and it's called a "missed miscarriage").

So my initial reaction was like WOW, ok. Everything was moving so fast. He told me the surgical nurse would call me in a few hours and schedule my D&C for as early as Friday. I go home.

After I got home and started talking to my mother (who had a similar situation with my brother) and some friends who know people who also were told as early as 6 weeks that their pregnancies were not viable but then waited a week or 2 and discovered there actually WAS a viable pregnancy and baby in there - I decided I'm going to wait 2 weeks to see. The reason I say this is because (a) my last period was irregular so it's possible the OBGYN team completely miscalculated my gestational age (b) I have no other signs of miscarriage whatsoever (c) I have all the signs of normal, healthy pregnancy.

Here's another thing. If the baby had stopped growing and died at 6 weeks..and if I am in fact 11 weeks, that would 5 weeks now that I'm walking around with dead tissue in my body. Would I not at this point have had some sort of indication of miscarriage? 5 weeks of no bleeding? no cramping? no discharge?

I am not one to put false hope in anything but it certainly seems reasonable to me to wait and see - considering I have no other symptoms. I'm even tempted to get a second opinion from a different doctor who doesn't seem like their rushing me out of the office. If the pregnancy is over then so be it - but wouldn't it be terrible if I terminated a healthy baby just because a doctor/nurse would not consider that they miscalculated gestational age? What would you do? Tell me your thoughts!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2010, 02:12 PM   #2
(female)

dtcmuma HB User
Re: Miscalculated Gestational Age mistaken for "Missed Miscarriage"?

omg... I would wait too... hopefully everything turns out for the best. goodluck

Old 08-05-2010, 03:23 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

justmel30 HB User

Well I think you have every right to be sceptical....and I think I would go in for a second opinion....somewhere else. However, it is very possible to have gone for 5 weeks and not have had any sign of a miscarraige. It's possible for a nearly full term baby to die, and never pass. What happens is the body calcifies the fetus. But reguardless, if your concerned, and you want to have things looked at, I would definately go in to have a second opinion. But I would do it sooner then later. Good luck.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:27 PM   #4
(female)

ninamarie81 HB User

thanks. i'm going tomorrow to my internist for blood work. perhaps i can get him to send me to a radiologist for another ultrasound. either way i just want the whole thing to be settled as soon as possible. I'm torn between mourning and feeling hopeful. Honestly, my family is way more hopeful than I am. I tend to be a pessimist to begin with. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised. But it's hard not to imagine a miracle... I guess it's human nature. I just feel drained. The pregnancy was a shock to me to begin as we weren't really trying, and then I wasn't sure if I was entirely happy about it. It wasn't until yesterday's "bad news" that I realized how much I actually do want this. It's a strange set of emotions for sure.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:13 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

I've heard that it's tough to see a heartbeat on a regular ultrasound at just 6 weeks.... if you really are barely 6 weeks along, there could be hope for you. BUT, that really just depends on how far along you really are. If ever I had an ultrasound that early, it was the transvaginal ultrasound, where they actually go inside to see. I believe that is the most accurate way to know that early on.

Be cautiously hopeful, and seek out a second opinion. I hope everything is okay for you.....

Old 08-06-2010, 12:00 PM   #6
(female)

ninamarie81 HB User

UPDATE: Went to internist today. Took urine test which still comes up positive for pregnancy. Still no bleeding or cramping. Went to the lab for blood work. Will get results of quantitative HcG test on Monday afternoon. Doctor says if HcG levels seem appropriate, he will send me to radiologist for another u/s. Either way I'm not going back to that obstetrician. Prayers are greatly appreciated.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:44 PM   #7
(female)

dtcmuma HB User

omg that is so stressful, I pray you will be fine and the baby comes along will be lil miracle baby for sure

Old 08-06-2010, 08:37 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

justmel30 HB User

GOOD LUCK! I hope that everything turns out for the best!

Closed Thread