It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2010, 06:38 PM   #1
(female)

desigrl HB User
Climb stairs after cesarean?

I am going to have a cesarean in 3 weeks and 4 days. The first time I had a cesarean we were in a ranch style home so I didn't have to worry about stairs. This time i'm in home with two floors...can I still climb the stairs after I come home? I know doctors tell you not to, but what if I climbed stairs only once a day...at night? I can just climb backwards...has anyone tried this?

Last edited by desigrl; 09-01-2010 at 06:58 PM.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

justmel30 HB User
Re: Climb stairs after cesarean?

OMG! It's getting so close for you! I have no idea on the stair thing. If I were you, and I was told not to, I think I would have baby's cradle downstairs by you and kinda nest on the couch until you were given the go-ahead. You want to heal as well and quickly as possible. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2010, 07:07 PM   #3
(female)

desigrl HB User

Yes, it is! After posting this thread I searched and searched online for stair climbing suggestions. The thing is it was 50/50, some women were advised not to climb stairs at all and some were given the go ahead to climb stairs once a day. My in-laws are going to come over for a week so staying downstairs with the baby will be hard. You know how it is when people are in your house, noise, kitchen activity, T.V...etc so i'm going to carefully climb upstairs at night Hope all is well with you...

Last edited by desigrl; 09-01-2010 at 08:02 PM.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:08 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

hotmama08 HB User

Goodluck on your delivery! Im having another c-section before end of September.

My house is bi-level so I had to climb few steps up from the living room to the bedrooms and our family room in the basement which is few steps down.

It was tough because of the pain but I do it so slowly and holding to the rails and it helped. Getting out of bed was also tough. But I like being mobile so I didnt stay on bed much.
I was not given any restrictions except no driving for 2 weeks and no lifting more than 10 lbs.

I was taking pain pills which really helped for 10 day ( Darvocet-N)
The Vicodin somehow makes me sick to my stomach.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:51 PM   #5
(female)

desigrl HB User

Thank you! And good luck to you as well!! We should both be getting them around the same time...
One good thing with me is...i'm short (5'2") and don't weigh much, I should lose most of the 11lbs i've gained after delivery...my husband is 6' and very muscular...so getting out of bed or getting up from a sitting position won't be too bad. That is one of the things i remember from 10 years ago when i had my daughter...he lifted me up pretty easily and at that time i had 50lbs on me! LOL
Since it has been a while I can't remember what meds I took after my c-section.
I did see my doctor today and she said I could climb stairs...she told me if i was capable then I should go for it. I am pretty stubborn so I will try and try and try to climb till i'm successful

Last edited by desigrl; 09-02-2010 at 06:53 PM.

Old 09-04-2010, 06:27 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

liloulou HB User

We have a ton of stairs in this house and after my csection I just climed the stairs once to get up them and then stayed on the second level for two weeks before going up and down once or twice a day for a week. Then on week four, I started doing them more and more. It was like room service for two weeks with people bringing me my food and anything I needed. :-) Plus I had a computer and tv to help with the stir craziness you can get.
My doctor is conservative and said he never regrets being conservative, but could regret not being so. I wouldn't push it. It's not that long of a period overall and could set you back weeks if you pull or tear something. And don't forget the meds mask pain so even if you think you can do them right from the start, try it when you're off of the meds. And take it easy; it's the only time you can.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Old 09-04-2010, 05:42 PM   #7
(female)

desigrl HB User

Thanks for the advice! At a time like this i really wish we had a bedroom on the main level...it would have made life so easy. I didn't even think about feeling better than I actually am because of pain meds...so many things going on right now, everything seems like a blur. Good thing I can count on you lovely ladies here on healthboards! Thanks

Closed Thread