It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2002, 06:25 AM   #1

marieS HB User
60% effaced but not dilated???

I am 37 weeks preg. and have been on bed rest since the first week in November due to preg. induced high blood pressure. I had my first pelvic done today and my doc said I was about 60% effaced, but I have not dialted at all yet. I was so shocked that I left without asking any questions. Is it normal to start effacing at 37 weeks? Since I have started to efface already, does that mean that I could actually go into labor anytime? Or can you be effaced for a few weeks before labor might begin? My doc just said things looked good and that he will see me next week. Like I said, I was so shocked that I just said ok and left..hahaha. Now that it is 4:00a.m., I start to think of questions..haha..Help!!!

Old 02-07-2002, 04:25 PM   #2

dbon99 HB User
Re: 60% effaced but not dilated???

Hi Marie,

Relax! Sounds like you're going through exactly what my sister has gone through twice (first and second pregnancies). She was effaced about 60% too, AND during the second pregnancy, she was dilated 4cm!! All of this at 34 weeks! Coincidentally, she also had high blood pressure during her pregnancies. She delivered right on time and had healthy babies. She suffered through lots of false labor pains during the last trimester of her pregnancy, and that's how she got so dilated/ effaced so early... but it all paid off when she labored for 6 hours the first pregnancy, and two the second! So I would stop worrying if I were you, and consider myself lucky. Believe me, you WILL dilate just fine when the time comes. My sis was extremely effaced, not dilated, when she went into labor the first time. And everything was just fine. And another thing... at 37 weeks, your baby would be perfectly fine if born now.
One thing my sister and I have found (with four pregnancies between us), NO two labors are alike! SO try to relax and enjoy the last few weeks of pregnancy.
Good Luck!
<p>[This message has been edited by dbon99 (edited 02-07-2002).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2002, 04:35 PM   #3

kelly78 HB User

with my second pregnancy i dilated to 2cm and was 80% effaced at the start of my 7th month... effacment does mean labor can be soon but only once it hit a hundred % effacement ... at least thats what my doc said i was very nervous about it being so early ( 7 months) but i didnt deliver til 36 weeks had to have her a little early due to hypertension/blood pressure and although a little small she was perfectly healthy.. your 37 weeks so its ok to have baby anytime... ggod luck!

Old 02-07-2002, 05:33 PM   #4

Purrbaby HB User

I had pregnancy induced blood pressure and I walked around 3 cm dilated..well I was on bed rest. The good thing was..I was induced before my due date and didn't have to wait and worry. Bad thing was I ended up having a c-section. Just make it to 38 weeks and you will be fine!!

------------------
Smile, life doesn't last that long.

Closed Thread