It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2002, 09:30 PM   #1

dianakeogh HB User
birth defects - is it better to know beforehand?

Hi all
I'm wondering your opinions on prenatal testing if you are considered a 'high risk' (genetic history, over 35) candidate for having a child with a birth defect. Do you think that it is better to be prenatally tested (and risk complications/ miscarriage as a result) so you are aware of problems before the birth? Or do you feel it's better to find out when the baby is born?
Also what are your thoughts about deciding to abort after finding out about a birth defect?

Old 01-16-2002, 09:17 AM   #2
Inactive

whitewolf95 HB User
Re: birth defects - is it better to know beforehand?

Well there is a risk free version of testing that is done first. They take a blood sample from you via the arm and test it. If anything shows up there then they discuss having an Anmio done which is the risky one.
To me with my family history I prefer to know as does my hubby. We have alot of things in my family and the idea of not knowing scares me more than knowing. To me knowing before hand will help one prepare better for the problems that may come
Though Hubby and I both decided that if something did show up in both tests then aborting was going to be our choice. Our main reasoning for that is thinking about when hubby and I are gone who would take care of the child with defects. Yeah some could say thier siblings but why put one of your other children in that position is my line of thought. Or some say some other family member but even that doesnt seem right. Because once agian why put a family member in that position.
I know some are going to rant at my post but that is fine. I am not saying this choice is for everyone.
It is something you need to sit down with your hubby and discuss throughly with. And then talk it over with your doctor to see what he/she has to say.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2002, 12:34 PM   #3

just wondering HB User

I am on the opposite side of the abortion issue when it comes to defects and I know that some will rant and rave at my post but oh well. I believe that that baby was created for a reason, with or without defects. I believe that when we start aborting babies because they have defects we are in a sense trying to create a perfect race. When you see a child with a defect, event though it is hearbreaking, do you think of that child as anything less than that-a child. I personally think it is sad that people would abort a life because it is less then perfect. I don't believe that you would be given that baby (if it had defects) if you couldn't handle it. I also know many people with birth defects and they are wonderful, caring funny people. I hate to think how different the lives of those around them would have been if they had been aborted. I know a lady who aborted a baby because it had down's syndrome. That really breaks my heart. I also read about a lady who was told that her baby had some birth defect and that they could abort it if they wanted and she didn't. When the baby was born it was perfectly healthy and she had been misdiagnosed. Anyways, it is a life that you are considering and a very big decision.

Old 01-16-2002, 05:14 PM   #4

dianakeogh HB User

Thanks all for your opinions. My neice has just been born with a spina bifida and I am really wanting to work out my feelings on the issue of testing before my hubby and I attempt pregnancy. Thanks again - you've been a help.

Closed Thread