It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2002, 05:09 PM   #1

pattic HB User
drinking before i knew i was pregnant

I must have gotten pregnant around Christmas and the new Year. I just found out. I am very happy, but at the same time concerned because i did have some drinks during the holiday. One night i just had a couple glasses of wine but on New years I got pretty drunk.
I'm very worried , does anyone have any idea if that could have harmed the baby?. I just found out today, i took a home test , haven't been to the doctor yet.

Old 01-11-2002, 10:07 PM   #2
Inactive

whitewolf95 HB User
Re: drinking before i knew i was pregnant

Ok,relax we have all been there and done that at one point or another.
My first son I was even told I wasnt pregnant by my doctor so I was still drinking and making plans for my 21st b-day. Well I soon found out that I was pregnant and felt guilty as all heck. My son is a healthy five and half year old.

Anyway when you see your doctor explain what was goingon and he/she will be able to discuss it with you.
A good book for you to check out that will also give you info on this is What To Expect When You Are Expecting.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2002, 10:14 PM   #3
Unregistered

I think the answer is that no one really knows how much alcohol it takes to harm a fetus. We know that alot harms a fetus. But no one knows the low end consumption yet. Scientists learn more everyday about this.

Old 01-12-2002, 04:49 PM   #4

Molly M HB User

I understand your concern. When I was pregnant with my daugher, now 3, I didn't know til I was 7+ weeks and I had done some serious drinking. I mean, on a daily basis. I was an alcoholic, though I didn't know it at the time. Once I found out I was pregnant, I immediately stopped drinking. I was worried about it my entire pregnancy, and luckily I had a healthy baby. I am sober now, thanks to many factors, and I don't have to worry this time around. All I can say is don't worry. You don't need that burden upon your shoulders when you are pregnant. Definately bring it up with your doctor or midwife. I'm sure that they will tell you not to worry. Focus on good nutrition and a healthy, peaceful lifestyle. It's all you can do. And of course, don't drink any more. Best of luck, and really, don't worry. You are lucky you found out that you were pregnant so soon. I wish I had the first time around. I would have stopped a lot earlier, and saved myself the agony of worrying.

------------------
Molly H.

Old 01-14-2002, 06:22 AM   #5
Inactive

hillarynotclinton HB User

Glad to hear this topic! With this pregnancy, I was taken totally by surprise. I was spotting and thought I was having my period, so I was drinking on weekends. Then, just to be safe, I took a pregnancy test, which came up negative. I got drunk that weekend. about 5 days later, I took another test, which came up positive! Boy did I feel bad! Needless to say, I havent had a drop since, but Ive worried about it. My last ultrasound showed a very healthy, normal baby. But fetal alcohol syndrome scares the crap out of me!! Not just the physical characteristics, but the intense behavioral and learning problems, as well as the inability to connect socially with other people. It is by far to me one of the worst things you could wish on a child! Ive seen FAS kids--you wouldnt wish their problems on your worst enemy!

Old 02-04-2002, 02:49 PM   #6

Amy M HB User

I also drank without knowing that I was pregnant with my first child and sorry to say I had done the same with the one I am carrying now. The first time around I was a nervous wreck the whole time. I found out I was pregnant 2 weeks after conception and immediately stopped drinking but there was a few very heavy days of drinking in there, My 2-1/2 year old is just fine. I to am worried about this child because I did not know for 3-1/2 weeks, but again quit immediately on finding out, although we did go to an all inclusive this past Septemeber (a pre planned vacation) and I had 1 glass of wine while there, at the time I didn't think it would be a problem nor my husband but now I still agonize over that! But with all that you read I think that fetal alcohol syndrome comes with frequent drinking esspecially later on in pregnancy, my ultra sound showed a healthy baby (after the wine) so besides being 35 with the increased risk of downs I think my baby will be ok!

Old 02-05-2002, 04:42 PM   #7

AngeliqueM HB User

I wouldn't worry too much, but make sure you talk to your doctor about it because FAS is very underdiagnoised, many people don't even know that ADD is a sign, along with many other things.

I found a really good article on FAS on *****, check it out you might find it useful.

-----------------
Good luck
Angie

Old 02-05-2002, 05:19 PM   #8

Purrbaby HB User

Welcome to Motherhood!!! I think 90% of the women who get preg drank a little when they didn't know they were preg. The thing is to make sure you don't drink now that you know. Even if you got laid-out-on-the-floor-drunk-out-of-your-mind it won't have hurt the baby to the point where they would have fetal alcohol syn. or something. Just DON"T continue to drink..which I'm sure you won't or you wouldn't be concerned. I saw someone said something about reading What to Expect When You are Expecting and I admit that is a great book...I read several while preg the first time. The one that REALLY helped me was The Girlfriends Guide to Preganancy by Vicki Iovine....that book had me laughing my *** off and made me realize I wasn't alone..it doesn't give medical advice but is more up to date than the other book..and it talks more about what preg women really wonder about..not just the scientific stuff. But that is just my opinion.
Here is one more book I think every preg. woman should read is Chicken Soup for the Expectant Mother's Soul....it is great whenever you are sad or want a little while to rejoice in being preg. The book brought me to tears and laughter SEVERAL times.

------------------
Smile, life doesn't last that long.

Closed Thread