It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2002, 06:17 AM   #1
Inactive

gregandjena HB User
7 weeks & uterine contractions

Hi all....just a quick question. I'm 7w4d today and I was sleeping great this morning, but was suddenly woken up with a fairly strong pain in my lower abdomen. I'm thinking it was a uterine contraction. Has anyone ever experienced this. Do I need to be concerned? I'm not bleeding, it's just that it kind of took me by surprise and an acquaintenance/friend has told me that I should get it checked out. Is this common, since the uterus is pretty much twice the normal size right now?

Any input is appreciated! Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2002, 09:02 AM   #2

~mandy~ HB User
Re: 7 weeks & uterine contractions

cramping can be normal for some people in early pregnancy due to the uterus growing. But in my experience it's not that bad...more like mild period cramps. It could also be the ligaments that hold your uterus in place stretching. I'm not sure how early in pregnancy these things are normal...you should give your doctor a call and ask just to be sure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2002, 10:42 AM   #3
(female)

Jules211 HB User

I am 15 weeks and a few days ago had a cramping sensation that was a shooting pain in my abdomen. Since I didn't have any other associated symptoms, the nurse told me to wait it out and take a Tylenol and warm bath- she believed it to just be a muscle spasm. The ligament stretching is not as painful- just feels kind of sharp for a second. Either way, if it gets worse it may be something different- b/c in both cases, for me, the sensation didn't continue for long (although the ligament stretching will happen now and again). Anyway, it's always scary when you feel any degree of pain in that area, but it takes time I think to learn to gage the pain and determine what's normal and what's not... check with your dr. when you are in doubt.

Old 07-10-2002, 10:51 AM   #4
Inactive

NautyAngel HB User

A uterine contraction is not particularly painful, exactly, as it is uncomfortable. It feels like there is a hard, heavy rock in your abdomen and cause a small ammount of vaginal pressure this early on. I had uterine contractions at 10 weeks, but thankfully they were due to dehydration (as most first and second term contractions are) and after I took the time to drink PLENTY of water (UGH!) they went away. However, it does sound like what you felt was a round ligament pulling. That can be terribly painful, and very scarry to a first-time mother! Be prepared to feel many of these in the first half of your pregnancy. Good luck!

Angel

Old 07-10-2002, 07:49 PM   #5
Inactive

gregandjena HB User

Thanks to everyone who responded. I did talk to my doctor today. He is guessing that what I'm having are "growing pains" which is a good thing. Ughh! I'm glad that you all responded though. It's always nice to have first hand experiences from others that "match" my own.

My next appointment is Monday and we're hoping to see a heartbeat on the ultrasound. I'll be 8w2d by then, so we've got our fingers crossed and saying lots of prayers for a healthy pregnancy.

Thanks so much for all of the support!

Closed Thread