It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2002, 01:35 PM   #1

joaniegirl HB User
tests -- accurate??

I am a few days late and since I was less than careful last month I am a little scared. However, it wouldnt be the first time I have "worried" myself into being late. I want to get a test but from what I can see on the board here they dont sound all that accurate. If it comes out negative, I could still be pregnant?? Should I skip the OTC test and just go right to the Doc??

Old 02-14-2002, 02:13 PM   #2

fingerscrossed HB User
Re: tests -- accurate??

Joanie,
If your doc is free or fairly inexpensive, I would go straight there or since you are a few days late, I would go to the store and get the EArly 1st Response test. It can detect the hcg horomone as early as a couple of days before your period, so if you are late already you should be good to go for a pretty accurate reading. If it is negative, I would wait a week before testing again. Do you have any symptoms?
good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2002, 09:16 PM   #3

Molly M HB User
Re: tests -- accurate??

Actually the at home urine tests are very accurate. In fact, that's what most clinics and offices use nowdays instead of the blood test. But they have to be done CORRECTLY. That's the key. It's not hard to do it correctly - you can pee in a cup if you want to be sure you do it without splashing. The only thing that I can think of that makes people think they are not accurate is that sometimes it takes longer than the 2 or 3 minutes to get a positive result (which can be very very faint). I remember when I was pregnant last time I got the faintest result, and it was after the 10 minute time limit, but it was there. I did end up getting a blood test and it was positive. So it can be frustrating. So anyway, if you are late for your period, assuming you ovulated when you usually do, the chances of getting an accurate result is good. But obviously if you don't have regular periods then it could be hard to determine if you are late.

------------------
Molly H.

Closed Thread