It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2002, 04:45 PM   #1

WhiteSnow HB User
~IMPORTANT~ Meds and Pregnancy!

A friend of mine used to be on meds Paxil 30mg and Clonozapam (Klonopin) 1mg but now her doctor said she could not take it anymore because she is pregnant, she make her stop those medeciations very suddent. Now she's very depress and anxious. A teraphist told her she could take medication for her depression even if she's pregant but what kind she can take, she don't have much help in that department right now. Did anyone of you know what kind of medecide for depression and anxiety she could take when she's pregant? Her gynycologist said she can take paxil even if she is pregant, how come her doctor said no?
Thanks if anyone can help.

Old 01-12-2002, 07:09 PM   #2
Inactive

whitewolf95 HB User
Re: ~IMPORTANT~ Meds and Pregnancy!

Different doctors will say different things. I had different doctors for my two pregnancies and it was like night and day with the things they would and wouldnt let me do or take.
She should have her OB/Gyno talk with her regular doctor so the two of them can work together to get her the help she needs. That is the best thing to tell her to do right now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2002, 03:10 PM   #3

samsauntie HB User
Re: ~IMPORTANT~ Meds and Pregnancy!

I, too, was on Paxil (20 mg) when I became pregnant. I went off of it COLD TURKEY because my dr. told me there were no withdrawl symptoms. SHE WAS WRONG! It was horrid! I did a lot of research after that and have some how stayed off of the Paxil since I miscarried. However, there are no studies as to what effect Paxil can have on a developing fetus. After going through what I went through, I can tell you that Paxil is powerful stuff. I can't imagine what it could do to a fetus. I have read that there are other anti-depressants that can be taken while pregnant, such as prozac. But after reading that, I read another article that said NO to prozac. I have asked a couple of other boards questions about this as I was sure that many others out there were taking meds as I was, and wanting to become pregnant. But I never got a definitive answer.

They say that the best thing to do is to try and make it without the meds. If she suffers from anxiety, a lot of "testimonials" I read on the internet said that the feeling of pregnancy (after the first three months) made anxious women feel perfectly healthy. I didn't really read anything about the feeling of depression. How long has your friend been off of Paxil? If it is recent, her body may need a lot of time to adjust. I wish her the best of luck. There are websites about paxil withdrawl.

(FYI--As far as I know, paxil was not the cause of my miscarriages.)

Closed Thread